Railroad Forums 

• Sadly Conrail fades away

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#563506  by railfanandy

I hope you all know that Norfolk Southern issued a bulletin that all remaining Conrail blue units will be painted black by the end of 2008. NS already opened up Chatanooga paint shop to help with the painting. I went by Enola yard the other day and saw almost no blue units. Get you shots while they're still here. :(

Cheers,
Andy

:-D
 #565336  by railfanandy

I'm not sure about CSX. I know that there are very few conrail units left.
 #566896  by ToledoTerminalRy

makes sense i have seen 3 NS x CR units just this week heading south on CSXs Detroit Columbus line. Bad thing is I didnt have the camera with me :(
 #571648  by Chessie GM50

Otto Vondrak wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:What about CSX's policy on Conrail heritage paint and schemes?
What policy?
I believe that they are repainted on an as-needed basis. Meaning that when CSX wrecks the engines, they are repaired (if possible) and repainted into CSX's scheme.
 #574078  by fw2008

Will CR paint still be seen on CR shared assets, like the P&H, Nat'l Docs, and Oak Island in New Jersey?
I wouldn't expect to see any of them in regular freights, just in local drills, etc.

FW
 #574258  by espeefoamer

I saw a unit in Conrail paint on 8-22-08 in Fullerton CA.It had what I think was a NS patch,(black numbers on a white background).
 #577262  by uhaul

This news actually quite disturbing to a Conrail fan, but I dug up some interesting facts. According to www.nsdash9.com there are about 338 locomotives in some form of Conrail Blue which means Norflok Southern would have to paint over 100 locomotives a month to be rid of all the blue by 12/31/2008.
 #577994  by atsf sp

I thought there was alot. Almost every NS consist that I've seen since the merger had a Conrail Blue engine. Except when it it new power. But I'm amazed they are going through with this. Sure they want to show unity, but it shows their heritage to.
 #583003  by sectioneight

I recall a bit of irony in regard to black vs blue locomotives. In the late 1980s, a certain CR VP proclaimed (erroneously) that there were no more (PC) black units on the Conrail property. He was the type that no one would dispute, even if he were wrong. This proclamation had the desired effect of speeding up the spread of blue paint, of course, until the only prior company colors to be found were on the dead lines in Altoona.

I wonder how many previously black PC units made it through their 'blue' period to get NS black.
Last edited by sectioneight on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #583368  by lvrr325

There was a pic in a Railpace a while back of an NS SD40-2 that had some of the end doors replaced with doors that clearly had been on a Penn Central unit, as there was the remains of the PC noodle on them. I'm not sure if the CR patch paint was coming off, or the logo itself was shabby in the first place, but clearly PC black never quite went away. (when they dumped all 567-power EMDs in the mid-90s, units went to scrap out of deadlines still in PC black, RDG green/yellow and EL GMY).
 #595846  by Rich Reinhart

The shared assets units in Morrisville PA still have 2 blue GP38-2`s in their ranks