Railroad Forums 

• Saddle Brook Yard(NS/NYS&W)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#114304  by trainfreak

I beleive the proper name is Passaic Junction. But i am not 100% sure on that.
 #114316  by R44 5212 A Train

Saddle Brook is in Bergen County(I live very close to there).

#114321  by Lackawanna484

Passaic Junction

The adjacent area where the hotel is now, was once known as "Coalberg Junction". Large piles (mountains) of coal were delivered there by the railroad.

#114326  by BlockLine_4111

Interesting fact about the coal.

Years ago I recall picking up some sizeable pieces of anthracite (aka hard coal) from the tracks along the side of yard by the hotels. Shiny pieces about the size of a peach pit, no bigger than a golf ball.

Sometimes the siding tracks looked like they were ballasted w/cinders and coal !

#114352  by Diamond_D

off topic here, but sullivan, that is an awesome photo for your avatar! Nice shot!
 #114428  by MikeW

called the Saddle Brook yard Coalberg yard because they stored coal there. No I'm wrong it is Passaic Junction. And Coalberg yard is east of it. According the book Susquehanna by John Krause and Ed Crist. Thank You now I'm going to read it again.

#114473  by sullivan1985

Diamond_D wrote:off topic here, but sullivan, that is an awesome photo for your avatar! Nice shot!
Thanks much. Took that photo in freezing winter weather late at night a little over a year ago.
 #114581  by R44 5212 A Train

So I guess you could be right.

I drive by there frequently, and I was wondering.

BTW, how come there are never any locomotives in there?

#114595  by Sirsonic

Also known as Bergen Transfer. Thats why the interlocking and connection to the NYS&W on the Bergen County RR is called BT.

#114608  by Sirsonic

We still refer to the Bergen County as the BCRR sometimes, I guess it slipped out.

#114622  by sullivan1985

Sirsonic wrote:We still refer to the Bergen County as the BCRR sometimes, I guess it slipped out.
Nothing wrong with that. I still call the Main Line the Boonton Line sometimes.