Railroad Forums 

• SABOTAGE - - -

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#378033  by hankadam

More John Kirkland memories - - - This is a true story and I heard it several times from others, but I will paraphrase a letter that I sent to Mark Laundry, the editor of BALDWIN DIESEL ZONE a few years ago:

John Kirkland was fairly new on-board, and to help enhance the inspection and completion of diesel locomotives they (BLW) had just completed a pit, beautifully lighted, over which a diesel loco could be run, stopped, and then the entire undersides checked and inspected. Everyone was quite thrilled. At the same time BLW was completing an order for steam locomotives (I never heard what type or size, but gathered it was a fairly large unit). The steam tests were performed, and all went well so when the loco was on the way to the paint shop (final paint was applied after tests, with no fire in the engine, and all parts cool) the steam engine was directed to a spot directly over the new pit, dumped its hot ashes, and with the remaining steam chugged off to the paint shop. WOW = a small explosion, a commotion, all the lights, electrical wiring, drains were destroyed and the new pit needed major repairs. Word spread to the top dogs, in the Main Office, and within hours the Steam Superintendent was fired! Pronto! (I don't know what happened to the Engineer). John Kirkland did not want to put this in any of his books, as he said, it may have sounded bitter, or petty to many readers. But, believe me the undercurrent of resentment, towards diesels, persisted for many years!

#381013  by Mimbrogno

Man, I thought I heard some good ones before, but that takes the cake! I agree with the sentiment, but I wouldn't have done that! No wonder they had so much disorder in the end!

Thanks for that little tidbit Hank, always a pleasure hearing from you!

Matthew Imbrogno