• S.S. 2 - 1926

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Statkowski

Note, this is the second S.S. 2. The first S.S. 2 was a Controlled Manual Block station at Port Morris - it was eliminated when Automatic Block signals were installed.

The year is 1926. The Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) is using 600-VDC over-running third rail between Penn. Station and the connection with the New York Connecting Railroad (NYCN) utilizing DD-1 motors. The New Haven Railroad (NH) is using 11,000-VAC catenary between New Haven, Conn. and the PRR connection utilizing EP-2 motors. After handing a train over to the PRR, the New Haven's engine deadheads back to Oak Point Yard until needed for the return eastward run, and which point it deadheads to S.S. 3 or 4. This operation continued until both the wire was up into Penn. Station and the New Haven had cab-signaled motors available for use into Penn. Station.

Freight operations on the NYCN were still steam-hauled, using NH (ex-CNE?) J-2 class 2-8-2s.

I do have some questions and comments.

Questions:

1. What is that signal to the west of S.S. 2 that was removed circa 1930? Was it an Automatic approach signal for Harold interlocking? I would assume it was, but since it has a square end, perhaps it was a Rear Home normally set at Approach.

2. What is that cryptic note, "BC data 5-6-39 shows NY 5.85"? NY 5.85 is an automatic signal at bridge C-41 on the line going to Bay Ridge. NY 5.83 is an automatic signal on the line going to Penn. Station. Don't understand the comment.

3. Any idea what that structure is on the viaduct where tracks 3 & 4 join 5 & 6 on the Bronx side?

Comments:

1. Track numbers at Bungay were transposed on the original document (nobody's perfect) - 5 & 6 should have been 7 & 8, and vice versa. I corrected it on my scanned copy.

2. Note all the signals on the NYCN are upper-quadrant semaphores. Track 1 & 2 signals are lower-quadrant. Signal 1.34, one would assume to be a New Haven signal, but it's still on the NYCN right-of-way, so is it really an NYCN signal or a New Haven signal? Signal 1.33, same location but other direction, is clearly identified as an NYCN signal.