Railroad Forums 

• RVRR office car

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#92806  by EDM5970

What happened to the office car that the RVRR used in it's final years? Is it still around? My understanding is that it was the "Black Diamond", LV 1551.

#93181  by Al Holleuffer

After the Kenilworth Station burned the RVRR acquired a former Lehigh Valley coach and a boxcar which were renovated to serve as the new office. Thes two cars were the last cars interchanged at Summit before that interchange closed. I believe both ended up on the NYS&W after the D-O Corporation assumed operation of the line. The coach was not the famous private car Black Diamond which was the former LV office car 353. That car is now in Steamtown in Scranton, Pa.

Al Holleuffer

#93348  by PVRX

The coach is at Cooperstown Junction, I believe. It may even be at a restaurant right there, I know I saw it a few years back, trying to remember exact spot.
 #93449  by GOLDEN-ARM

GREETINGS. I WORKED FOR THE SUZY-Q, IN THE LATE 80'S. WE TOOK THAT LV COACH CAR, TO THE LV INTERCHANGE, AT ROSELLE PARK, FOR SHIPMENT TO COOPERSTOWN, FOR WALTERS PERSONAL COLLECTION. HE HAS QUITE A SIZEABLE FLEET, OF CARS STORED. ON A SADDER NOTE, EVEN AFTER THE COACH WAS SENT AWAY, ALL OF THE ORIGINAL SEATS, WERE STACKED UP, IN A PILE, IN THE RVRR ROUNDHOUSE. I WAS ENGINEER THERE, IN '87/88, AND UP UNTIL THE ROUNDHOUSE AND SHOP BUILDINGS WERE RAZED, THE SEATS WERE THERE, STILL IN THE ORIGINAL FABRIC PATTERN. P.S. "GREETINGS, AL, FROM THE GOLDEN-ARM". REGARDS, DAVE
Last edited by GOLDEN-ARM on Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#93496  by Don Maxton

I haven't been to Cooperstown in quite a while, but I remember seeing the coach in back of the Delaware Otsego office, which I think is located in the old train station there. At the time, someone from DO told me that the coach was being used as an office, or at least for storage of files, etc. I've been meaning to get back up there and take a picture, but I just haven't gotten around to it.