Railroad Forums 

• RVR - Roselle

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1176166  by crnrailalcrn

On both sides of Amersterdam Avenue crossing it appears that both sides of the road much of the weeds and brush have been cut down. Is anything going to happen? Currently no cars are being stored between Amersterdam Avenue and South Ave Cranford.
 #1176268  by markyk

Noticed this as well, but probably just Pipeline Right of Way deforestation......happens every few years or so
 #1176540  by Sirsonic

The recent brush work has been part of a flood control project on the stream/creek that passes under the road near the crossing. There may have also been the annual pipeline clearing work too.

Ever since the M&E Railway's contract ended and was not renewed there has been no operator for the RV and SIRY. Any carrier moving or storing cars on this line would be doing so illegally.
 #1176705  by Jtgshu

As a probably unrelated note, but you never know - NJT has been doing a significant tie replacement on the Garwood Industral Track, (that 3rd track through Garwood and Cranford stations, and connects with the SIRT - it continues east as the old CNJ main towards Elizabeth) and they also cleared all vegetation inbewteen the Garwood industrial and the siding that parallels it, just east of the switch for the SIRT, just west of the GSP bridge. A BUNCH of ties were delivered and unloaded, and they are building a switch (a "snap track" switch, building it and then transporting it somewhere) in that area, as some of the MOW equipment is using that area as a staging area.

Im not saying anything is coming, or why the work is being done, other than it really needed to be done, as the ties coming out of there are basically turning to dust. I do not know any information about it, other than what I have seen with my own eyes, and thats what im passing along.
 #1176857  by kilroy

Interesting JT. My understanding is the Garwood Insudtrial is owned by CR but used by NJT. CR had no desire to spend money fixing it since they don't need it and NJT didn't want to spend money to fix it because it wasn't their's. I wonder what changed.
 #1177175  by BigDell

JT I am almost afraid to think that "MAYBE SOMETHING IS HAPPENING" on my favorite section of OOS-ROW (may it rest in peace). Anyone know how far the Garwood Industrial track still goes toward Elizabeth? At what point is there nothing left but trees and dust? I should drive over those bridges and see for myself at some point.
 #1177291  by markyk

not stirring the pot, and I do not know anything....but Oil trains are coming to Bayway....
 #1177292  by BigDell

That is indeed stirring the pot. I had already visualized a double track mainline restored from e'port and rejoining the Raritan Valley line. After all, they single tracked the LV by Potters in Edison back in the 80's and had to restore the double about 10 years ago because suddenly there was a lot of traffic... but I have been waiting for "something to happen" on the old CNJ main for decades so I don't want to go there... ;-)
But it's a nice thought!
 #1177294  by markyk

where exactly does the garwood industrial start? east of westfield train station?.........please don't say Garwood, i'm thinking its at where drug fair used to be?
 #1177368  by Sirsonic

The Garwood Industrial begins/ends at Clark interlocking on the NJT RVL, behind the Drug Fair (now Walgreens) in Westfield. The other end is at the Cranford/Roselle border, under the Lehigh Line overpass. At that point it becomes the Elizabeth Industrial. The Elizabeth industrial is OOS between the Garwood Industrial and Spring St (Route 1&9) in Elizabeth.

Regarding the planned future rail shipment of oil to Bayway, that traffic would be routed to the Chemical Coast. The unloading facility is supposed to be located adjacent to it in Linden.
 #1177514  by Jtgshu

Got some info on the Garwood Ind....... unfortunately, it doesn't look like any of the upgrades are related to anything freight but rather for NJT use.....sorry fellas
 #1177589  by BigDell

But the Elizabeth Industrial seems to cut off at some point, looking East from the GSP. Certainly at the old Broad Street Station (now a Mexican restaurant). It's all filled over. I see the remnants of a single track looking West and a forest looking East. How far West from E'port can they still move cars? Do they go over 1&9? I keep waiting for NJT to come to their senses and restore rail service to E'port from Cranford (YES I KNOW I KNOW.... :-)
 #1177614  by Jtgshu

BigDell wrote:But the Elizabeth Industrial seems to cut off at some point, looking East from the GSP. Certainly at the old Broad Street Station (now a Mexican restaurant). It's all filled over. I see the remnants of a single track looking West and a forest looking East. How far West from E'port can they still move cars? Do they go over 1&9? I keep waiting for NJT to come to their senses and restore rail service to E'port from Cranford (YES I KNOW I KNOW.... :-)
I think it would be a good idea as well, and making Elizabeth a transfer facility for some trains or even building a ramp up there to NEC..... Would definitely free up space in Newark Penn and on the NEC and the Lehigh Line..........maybe one day....
 #1177765  by crnrailalcrn

Maybe they're upgrading the tracks so they can use them for higher ground to store locomotives and cars if we get another bad storm where there's a storm surge. They won't flood on those tracks
 #1193722  by NYSW2300

I hear from my sources that the Bayway Oil trains might run via the RVL at Bound Brook to the Garwood Ind track. At the switch for the SIRT, the power will cut away and run via a new switch installed near CP-Aldene on the east end on the Ind track to Oak Island for servicing. An unknown operator, I'm hearing Railserve will get the contract, will come out and get the train and pull it into the refinery. The outbound trains will come north on the coast out of the refinery to keep thngs flowing.