Railroad Forums 

• RVL - West of High Bridge

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#19505  by CGRLCDR

I was mountian biking in High Bridge yesterday and noticed that the track heading west has seen some recent usage. I thought the only customer west of High Bridge was the quarry in Glen Gardner, but that they no longer used rail service. Does anyone know why they'd be any usage going west west from High Bridge?

Also, I noticed that they are using welded heavy duty rail installed in 1996 west of the station. I thought that was curious since the usage is minimal and there's certainly no passenger service out there.

#19801  by Ken W2KB

The passenger trains in the morning head west, as far as MP 54. 1 well west of the station, to wait for train time to minimize noise complaints in the municipality.

#19834  by njt4172

Ken,

What is the mile post at the High Bridge station?

Thanks,
Steve

#19847  by The Rising

Mile Post 52

#19851  by JLo

Maybe if gas stays at $2+ a gallon, NJT will restore service west of High Bridge.

#20023  by njt4172

JLo,

Your kidding me right????

#20059  by Irish Chieftain

More accurately, NJT service west of High Bridge would resume if there is enough outcry/demand for it.

(Of course JLo is kidding. There has been no marked slack-off of purchase of a certain class of gas-guzzling 4×4 road vehicles despite the continued rise in fuel prices—in fact, there has been recent reports of an increase in the purchase of such vehicles. Must be an obsession.)

#20087  by JLo

No way. I expect NJT will reinstitute service next month. Of course, riders will be asked to pay $300 for monthlies for NJT's newest service--E'town Direct--where, after being afforded a top-notch ride in empty shipping containers on loan from Port Newark, they will be able to easily transfer to the NEC using a rickety fire ladder tied to the Elizabeth Station's platform.

#20089  by Irish Chieftain

Gotta love Irish sarcasm...bites harder than a pit bull :) :)

#20094  by Mudvalve

A ladder? I'd expect nothing short of rope with a few knots tied in "for your climbing convenience"

#20387  by TGIV

As stated trains may pull west of the station MP 52.2 because of noise. The welded rail goes to about 52.6,used 131 RE or 140 RE when installed it was rolled in the 50s or 40s
The quarry MP 55 has not had a siding from before 1974.
Rudl's fencing had a siding installed MP 53.7 in the 80s but that siding has not been used in years

#20671  by Ken W2KB

>>>(Of course JLo is kidding. There has been no marked slack-off of purchase of a certain class of gas-guzzling 4×4 road vehicles despite the continued rise in fuel prices—in fact, there has been recent reports of an increase in the purchase of such vehicles. Must be an obsession.)<<<

Or, like me, I *need* my Chevy Tahoe to haul the trailer with the speeder (and Jeffrey in his crate in the back <g> ).