Railroad Forums 

• Rutgers Special?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#4293  by GandyDancer

Last night (Saturday, 3/20) there was a "Rutgers Special" posted on the NYP board (dep. 11:48pm) with an 8xxx train number.

Initially, I thought this was for RU basketball fans, but there was no Rutgers game at the Garden last night.

Anyone know what this was for and what stops it would have made? (I was almost curious enough to have hung around NYP for an extra hour to find out).

#4335  by nick11a

Oh boy, a Rutgers special.

Well one thing is for sure, Jtgshu definitely wasn't on that train! :wink:

#4338  by Jtgshu

Usually about once a month, various teams of Rutgers charter a car to go into NYP or out of NYP, for whatever reason.

We are given SPECIFIC instructions that there must be ONE car closed for them coming into NB, and there must be ONE car closed for them leaving NYP. So no matter how crowded the trian is, that car is NOT to be opened, except for them.

Wheren't the women Bball team in the NCAA torney too? Where they playing at MSG? Maybe it was for them

#4341  by GandyDancer

ONE car closed for them coming into NB, and there must be ONE car closed for them leaving NYP
JT - This looked like an entire job - there was no other departure posted for that time and having one designated car would not alter the train number to an 8xxx, would it?

Our Lady Knights played (and narrowly lost, just like the Pirates) in Chattanooga, so it was not for them or their fans.

#4343  by Jtgshu

No, that would be a whole train 8XXX numbers are for special trains.

But they often do rent out single cars on various trains back and forth to NY.

Maybe it was a big fund raiser or something.

I know how you feel with your lady knights....my Pirates lost too :(

#4344  by nick11a

Right now in New Brunswick and Piscataway, students are trying to raise money for a dance marathon. It seems like it is a big to do. So if you're driving and you get stopped by a light at an intersection, watch out for those redshirts!!!!

On a quick side note, for my kindergarten Birthday party, I had my entire kindergarten class convene at Berkeley Heights Train Station and we had my party on the train. We rode out to Gladstone and back. We warned a conductor about it and we were able to have my party in an Arrow II car with food and all.

People still remember that to this day whenever I see some of my fellow highschool graduates.

#4580  by ryanov

nick:

What makes you a "contributor?"

#4628  by nick11a

Well, that Contributor thing pops up when you hit a hundred posts as I found out last night. So one other people hit a hundred, you'll see more contributors appear.

#4922  by TAMR213

Maybe this is for athletics recruting purposes? The womens basketball team was playing in Chattanooga (and a very poorly officiated game I might add). Being a Rutgers fan, I know that at least Schiano (the head fotoball coach), uses NYC and the train as a way to recruit players, showing the proximity to, and how easy it is to get to, NYC. Maybe other teams are doing this as well? This would make the most sense to me.