• Running Times and Milage

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by tantg

Hello, my name is Glenn and I am from Sydney, Australia with an interest in the railroads around New York City.
I was wondering if enyone could tell me the aproximate running time from the PRR Harbourside Station to Newark Penn Station please.
Also could enyone please tell me the mileage from Jamesburg and Davis, I don't know the name of the branchline.
Thank you in advance for eny help given.

by Don31

I'm not aware of a Harborside Station. That waas a railroad freight warehouse thats been closed for years...converted to offices. If you mean PATH's Exchange Place station to Newark penn, its about 15 - 18 minutes.

by Lackawanna484

Don31 wrote:I'm not aware of a Harborside Station. That waas a railroad freight warehouse thats been closed for years...converted to offices. If you mean PATH's Exchange Place station to Newark penn, its about 15 - 18 minutes.
Prior to the opening of NY Penn (and Newark Penn), trains ran from the old Market Street station in Newark through to what we call Exchange Place, but was then called Harborside. As don31 correctly notes, the name stuck with the huge freight terminal adjacent after pax service ended forty years ago.

Most commuter service went through to Harborside, pulled by steam engines, while long haul trains exchanged steam for early electric at Manhattan Transfer, east of Newark. The last commuter train serving Harborside may have been The Broker, in the mid 1950s.
Last edited by Lackawanna484 on Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by timz

Are you asking about current PATH time from Exchange Place to Newark, or PRR time? End of track at Jersey City was MP 1 and Newark is MP 8.6 to 8.7, so nonstop running time was probably 12 minutes or so. I'll check if you want.

PRR service out of JC ended Nov 1961.

You want mileage to Jamesburg via South Amboy Jct? Where's Davis-- you mean down beyond Wilmington?

by tantg

timz wrote:Are you asking about current PATH time from Exchange Place to Newark, or PRR time? End of track at Jersey City was MP 1 and Newark is MP 8.6 to 8.7, so nonstop running time was probably 12 minutes or so. I'll check if you want.

You want mileage to Jamesburg via South Amboy Jct? Where's Davis-- you mean down beyond Wilmington?
Hi, thank you for your previous replies.

Yes please, it is the PRR time that I am actually after. Is this the time the same for both steam and electric service between the two stations please.

It is on a branch line that ran from Hightstown just beyond Jamesburg, on the Camden Line to Pemberton, NJ.

Thank you
  by 1st Barnegat

tantg wrote:
timz wrote:Are you asking about current PATH time from Exchange Place to Newark, or PRR time? End of track at Jersey City was MP 1 and Newark is MP 8.6 to 8.7, so nonstop running time was probably 12 minutes or so. I'll check if you want.

...It is on a branch line that ran from Hightstown just beyond Jamesburg, on the Camden Line to Pemberton, NJ.

Thank you
Davis Station was on the Union Transportation line from Hightstown to Pemberton. The UT was part of the PRR "family" but was a separate railroad. This map shows where Davis Station was. Today it's the area adjacent to the Cream Ridge golf course.
http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/g ... mercer.pdf

Use Netscape and zoom in at 200%. Based on the scale on the map, the distance from Jameburg to Hightstown is about 8 miles and to Davis Station another 8 miles or so.

More at Jerry Britton's web site: http://kc.pennsyrr.com/guide/pemberton.html

by Lackawanna484

According to Official Guide (June, 1955) the running time between Jersey City's Exchange Place and Newark, on the Pennsy, was 13 minutes. Unlike today's PATH service, which makes scheduled stops at Grove and JSQ, Pennsy trains ran non-stop to Newark

Union Transportation was one of the last locations in which Pennsy used steam power on a regular basis, maybe even the last

by tantg

First Barnegat and Lackawanna484
Thank you for your replies.

by timz

PRR trains typically were scheduled to leave Newark 13 minutes after they left Jersey City-- so running time would be a bit less.

The timetable shows 21.0 miles NY Penn Sta to Union (the tower in Rahway), 8.1 miles Union to South Amboy Jct, 20.6 miles South Amboy Jct to Hightstown. The 1930 Official Guide says Hightstown to Davis was 8.96 miles.

by CNJFAN

Does anyone happen to know the total mileage of the RVL from High Bridge to Aldene?
Also in addition to that, from High Bridge to NWP?

by CNJFAN

Correct, NWP is Newark Penn.
Also, thanks for the info.

by SPUI

Aldene to Valley is about 6.25 mi, and Valley to NWP is about 1.75. So High Bridge to NWP is about 45 miles.

by CNJFAN

Thanks for the info!