Railroad Forums 

• Rumors, rumors, rumors...

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#217549  by CSX Conductor

Unfortunately rr management looks at it this way: Even if a customer goes from rail to truck somewhere along the line will will be carrying that truck on our inter-model system. I don't really like that mentality though.
 #217615  by ProRail

One other thing to consider is that a merger or acquisition may be useless for the NS if they still have to use trackage rights from the CPRS between Binghamton and Mechanicville. You don't see too many situations where Railroad A must travel across 100+ miles of Railroad B to get back to Railroad A.

Spring is coming...time to postpone the merger talk until April 1st, otherwise we will have nothing left to talk about then.

(PS - Can someone be more creative this year and come up with something else???)

#217662  by roberttosh

Railroads all over the Country run over other railroads tracks to get to and from their own lines. Just to name a few, BNSF over the UP over Tehachapi, UP over BNSF over Cajon Pass, UP over BNSF to get to Seatle, the BNSF over UP over Donner, I could go on and on.

With better service which the NS would undoubtadly provide (how could it not?), traffic over the old B&M and MEC could go up considerably. Not only is there an amazing amount of rail type freight that is trucked to and from ST customers that they could win back, but NS would probably do alot better getting traffic off of the MMA and from the Maritimes. Unlike the ST, they would probably also be willing to invest in Wodchip and Log cars that could add some serious tonnage to the former Maine Central - tonnage that the MEC always handled but that the ST pissed away. The same could be said of Bunker C oil which the MEC handled alot of prior to the ST and which the ST pissed away by way of lousy service and in the case of IP, an accident at Jay in the 80's that caused an Oil spill that the ST never took responsibilty for.

The only down side of such a takeover would be a likley loss of tonnage moving over CSXT's Boston Line.
 #217686  by MEC407

roberttosh wrote:I will say this folks...... if I've ever believed a rumor about the ST, it's the one I'm hearing now:

All or part of the old B&M going to the NS on or about Jan 15, 2006. This has come from some VERY reliable sources.
Just curious: do you still consider your sources to be "VERY" reliable, as you said previously? :wink: I think perhaps you need to find some new sources!
 #217901  by CSX Conductor

It's official !!! I finally got the word Wednesday night that Ford has signed a ten year contract with CSXT down in the CP Yard in Framingham/Holliston. :-D It is supposed to be effective March 1, 2006.

#217967  by CN9634

haha one rumor that proved true. Speakin of rumors I heard the NS one again...

#217983  by johnpbarlow

It's official !!! I finally got the word Wednesday night that Ford has signed a ten year contract with CSXT down in the CP Yard in Framingham/Holliston. It is supposed to be effective March 1, 2006.
Well that's certainly good news for Ford dealers in New England as they can likely get their autos sooner. I guess CSX must have other plans for the former Westboro auto yard, given it has better proximity to 495 and the Mass Pike than does the CP yard in Framingham.

#218002  by CSX Conductor

As for Westboro...when East Brookfield was originally dreamt up the plans for Westboro were to convert it to a flexi-flo site in case Beacon Park was sold. Then they said the same about the CP Yard. Who knows?!? LOL
 #218057  by roberttosh

MEC407 wrote:
roberttosh wrote:I will say this folks...... if I've ever believed a rumor about the ST, it's the one I'm hearing now:

All or part of the old B&M going to the NS on or about Jan 15, 2006. This has come from some VERY reliable sources.
Just curious: do you still consider your sources to be "VERY" reliable, as you said previously? :wink: I think perhaps you need to find some new sources!
That's the last time I talk about that rumor, believe me :wink: To be honest, I still think it will happen and I know there is stuff going on that points to it happenning, but with Guilford, ya just NEVER know!!!!

#218103  by roberttosh

As for Westboro vs Framingham, I'm not so sure that Westboro is big enough for Ford? I think Ayer has quite a few more parking spaces than Westboro.

#218207  by mick

Local AY-3 in Ayer has been abolished due to the loss of the Ford contract. However, Guilford is not shutting down the Auto facility for good yet, they can handle racks from the west end through the Hoosac Tunnel, and even still get them from CSX in Worcester if need be. There are rumors about Toyota coming to Ayer, and also rumors of a bulk lumber/plastics unloading facility at the Auto Facility site. Say what you will about Guilford, but I hear CSX is having it's own problems with the facility in East Brookfield, some crews tell me they are very slow to get the empty racks out, creating a backlog of loads in Selkirk.
 #218690  by JAJ

roberttosh wrote:
MEC407 wrote:

That's the last time I talk about that rumor, believe me :wink: To be honest, I still think it will happen and I know there is stuff going on that points to it happenning, but with Guilford, ya just NEVER know!!!!
As they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day....

JAJ
 #218708  by JAJ

roberttosh wrote:
JAJ wrote:

JAJ
....and your point being?
You mean you don't get it?

JAJ
 #218771  by roberttosh

JAJ wrote:
roberttosh wrote:
JAJ wrote:

JAJ
....and your point being?
You mean you don't get it?

JAJ
I get what you mean about the clock, I just don't get who or what you are referring/comparing it to?