Railroad Forums 

• Rumford Branch, RUPO / PORU

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1167594  by CPF363

These types of stories should be driving investments in diversifying the railroad to meet the requirements of the container business in Northern New England.
 #1188265  by KSmitty

Month and a half later, any updates? New Page vanished from the Earth? Jobs still running maxed out 7 days a week? Somewhere in between?
 #1189481  by KSmitty

Verso's almost as bad off as New Page. I doubt you'll see them making any acquisitions in the near future. There is nothing surprising about a papermill closing these days...
 #1230150  by MEC407

riffian wrote:http://bangordailynews.com/2013/11/19/b ... s-unknown/
Thanks for the link! Please don't forget to provide a short fair-use quote; occasionally web sites will change their links and we might not be able to find the article again.
Bangor Daily News wrote:The company is stopping production on its No. 12 paper machine, which currently produces roughly 300 tons per day of coated paper used for magazines and catalogs. It is both the oldest — built in 1948 — and smallest of the mill’s three paper machines, Lyons said. The mill’s total annual production is approximately 550,000 tons of coated paper.

While Lyons wouldn’t estimate how many employees will be impacted, Ron Hemingway, president of the Local 900 United Steelworkers union, told the Sun Journal that “around 120 people” may be affected by the shutdown of the No. 12 paper machine.
Source: http://bangordailynews.com/2013/11/19/b ... s-unknown/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1230207  by gokeefe

Given the increasing cost of labor in China and the likely onset of environmental controls there this may be the last paper machine shutdown in Maine we see for a long time to come.
 #1230308  by Hux

Cowford wrote:I don't follow... what does this have to do with China?
A lot of magazine, and catalog printing is done off-shore...usually in China.
 #1230517  by Cowford

I doubt a lot of magazines are published offshore, given it would take a 1-2 months to distribute what is a perishable product. Imported print media represents only 7% of domestic demand; exports are actually greater than imports.
 #1230654  by gokeefe

Cowford wrote:I doubt a lot of magazines are published offshore, given it would take a 1-2 months to distribute what is a perishable product. Imported print media represents only 7% of domestic demand; exports are actually greater than imports.
I don't know about magazine printing but my understanding from people who work in the paper industry in Maine is that they are in fact facing significant competition from Chinese paper mills. That being the case, increasing labor costs will go a long way to eliminate this advantage.
 #1276553  by KSmitty

It made quite a splash when announced, but the last I knew the Verso/New Page deal was in trouble as Verso was having trouble raising funds. So, after a long spell of quiet it appears there is some news. http://investor.versopaper.com/released ... eID=817170" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; More than news, it appears the deal went through and will close this year.

I sincerely hope this brings better fortunes to Verso, Rumford, Jay, Bucksport and the 2 branches in existence for the Verso mills.