Railroad Forums 

• Rumford Branch, RUPO / PORU

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1552630  by oibu

Thanks, so you are saying that often only one side runs on a given day (i.e. only RUPO or only PORU?)

Slightly OT maybe but Is there still a Danville jct local?
 #1552651  by S1f3432

I was told by the two railfans I ran into at Leeds jct that PORU/RUPO was up one day and down the next,
but I wouldn't cast that in stone as I haven't seen them often enough the past couple of months to
determine an actual routine. The Danville Jct switch job is apt to show up anytime with no particular
schedule; when I've seen them it's been in the early afternoon. I've seen SLR make a delivery to Panam
with that same cut of cars sit in the same place for several days so Danville interchange doesn't seem
to be much of a priority.
 #1552661  by KSmitty

Jay has actually been busier since the explosion, because so much pulp is coming in. A lot of stuff is/was moving Rumford-Jay-Rumford with ND supplying a lot of the pulp Pixelle is using. But SAPPI, other Pixelle mills, and other sources of market pulp are all being used to feed the paper machines. Most of it is coming in by rail.

It's just that they can't seem to keep enough crews assigned to the branch to actually run trains 2 directions 7 days.
 #1552663  by roberttosh

Is there any more news on the future of the Pixelle mill? There was some speculation that the mill may eventually be closed due to the loss of the pulping operation. Hope that doesn’t end up being the case.
 #1552699  by roberttosh

The current situation is a short term fix and has no bearing on the plant's future viability.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1553032  by gokeefe

IFRX 92134 ... Gondola car ... See it here @ 3:47.

New to the area. Use unknown. I was wondering for a moment about wood chips (there were three of these) but I'm guessing it's something else.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1553037  by CN9634

I heard a scary figure the cost to restore pulping operations at Jay.... I'm not sure you'll see it back but its possible. Market pulp prices are very low right now -- remember Pulp is a commodity and you can keep tabs on the market if you know what you're looking for. We'll see what happens in the future but at least for now Jay should be fine to keep those papermachines fed.

Something to watch out is the ND Paper mill COVID-19 outbreak from last week.... really not a good situation up there they have a few shifts home now in quarantine and some guys are seriously sick. They did mill-wide testing as well... hoping everyone comes through alright but that operation will likely be impacted (already has been).
 #1553567  by wally

pixelle/jay just laid off another 50+ employees last week. things are going to get worse before they get better. cleanup/demolition of the digester is ongoing, nevermind rebuilding. years away from a new digester online, minimum.
 #1557759  by BostonUrbEx

BostonUrbEx wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:00 pm Is Pan Am still upgrading the Rumford Branch to 286k? I noticed on their official weight map that the branch is still showing 263k. Back in 2015 or 2016 they were working on the bridge over the Androscoggin in Jay for the 286k upgrade. How much work is possibly left?
Welp, the new weight map from October 29, 2020 shows that the Rumford Branch is now fully 286k.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... weight.jpg

No public announcement? I guess it really only mattered to two customers, so if you needed to know, you already know.
 #1558489  by MEC407

From the Portland Press Herald:
Portland Press Herald wrote:Jay mill announces it will permanently idle paper machine, not rebuild pulp mill

Pixelle Specialty Solutions officials announced Wednesday they will permanently idle the paper machine that has been offline at Androscoggin Mill following the April 15 destructive rupture of a wood pulp digester connected to the machine, as part of its long-term strategic plan.

The company will continue to operate two paper machines to manufacture specialty papers, according to a release from Alan Ulman, spokesman for Pixel.
. . .
The mill will continue using pulp sourced from other mills, including Maine-based facilities. The company will not rebuild the pulp mill, according to the statement.
Read more at: https://www.pressherald.com/2020/12/09/ ... pulp-mill/
 #1558490  by Shortline614

Testing my Maine Railroad knowedge for a second. That leaves ND Paper in Rumsford as the only remaining "major" customer on branch. Correct or no?