• Rumford Branch, RUPO / PORU

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by doublestack

While viewing a video, thanks to Chuckusa1957 of a westbound freight through Portland this week I was surprised to notice what the train consist of for cars. First off, the power, 4 CSX "oil can" units routing their way back west with 99 cars. Not a good time to be stuck at the Congress st. crossing for sure.

After watching trains for several years going to and from Rigby, you can just about always know the destination or point of origin on each train by what car names and/or the reporting marks they have. With that in mind, this train seem to be mostly cars from the Rumford branch, mostly GMRC and old MEC and BM cars.

The thing that really caught my eye was several of these cars had open doors with no loads heading west. Did NewPage stop shipping and return the least cars or are they heading to another assignment? There must be some explanation why so many empties in one train.

As for the where the train originated from, Waterville would be the most logical with the "oil can" train using CSX power. How did these cars get down the branch from Rumford? Anyone thoughts?

Here's the video, check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_8Lvrzo ... ature=plcp
  by newpylong

While I cant answer for sure the old B&M ones look like they're being shipped off for scrap and the GMRC ones may be cripples heading back to their shops for repair.
  by bunky

Nashua yard and what ever sidings are left on the NH main are filled with stored box cars including the gmrc and various Pan Am reporting marks. Maybe there just moving some around to free up track space. The cars in NH just started showing up during the last 6 months it seems like.
  by mick

Could be going to GE Railcar in Sayre, PA. for rebuild, that's where the rest of the recent B&M rebuild/repaints were done.
  by gokeefe

newpylong wrote:While I cant answer for sure the old B&M ones look like they're being shipped off for scrap and the GMRC ones may be cripples heading back to their shops for repair.
bunky wrote:Nashua yard and what ever sidings are left on the NH main are filled with stored box cars including the gmrc and various Pan Am reporting marks. Maybe there just moving some around to free up track space. The cars in NH just started showing up during the last 6 months it seems like.
Here are some thoughts: I agree with newpylong that many of these cars look in pretty rough shape, but unlike him I don't know enough to see something specific that would point towards that, only that the cars looked very rough indeed (which may or may not mean anything).

bunky makes an interesting point regarding box cars on the sidings in NH, but given that the Downeaster and PAR need these sidings I'm assuming for the moment that bunky is talking about disused spurs to former customers as opposed to the more regularly used sidings with power switches etc.

Here is a possible hypothesis, that would require some additional knowledge to confirm. Let's say for a moment that PAR has decided to undergo a major car rebuild project of their company owned rolling stock. The goal would be to free themselves of the need for leased box cars. I'm assuming that 1) the leased boxcars are indeed leased by the railroad or 2) they are leased by the paper companies because PARs car fees are too high (seems possible but unlikely). Regardless the idea is that PAR, either through lower car use rates (there is a technical term for this, I think it's demurrage but I can't remember) or through a "state fo good repair" program for their own fleet is going to become more proactive in ensuring the use of their own rolling stock.

That would help explain the massive movements of box cars into NH.

An alternate hypothesis is that PAR anticipates needed more space in their Waterville yard and is clearing rolling stock out to make more space. That to me would be an indication of some very big things to come, possibly the return of some kind of intermodal, especially now that the new Mechanicville Yard is more or less complete. Another possibility could be that they are anticipating an increase in oil trains sooner rather than later.
  by newpylong

If the Downeaster needs the space on the NH Division they forgot to hook a right in Wilmington, lol. Two different mainlines here. Nashua is on the NH Division (Pan Am's Northern Mainline), Downeaster only uses the NH Division (Lowell Line) in MA but then takes the Wildcat Branch to the Portland Division, or Western Route through NH and Maine.
  by gokeefe

newpylong wrote:If the Downeaster needs the space on the NH Division they forgot to hook a right in Wilmington, lol. Two different mainlines here. Nashua is on the NH Division (Pan Am's Northern Mainline), Downeaster only uses the NH Division (Lowell Line) in MA but then takes the Wildcat Branch to the Portland Division, or Western Route through NH and Maine.
Thanks for the clarification. That makes a lot more sense.
  by camster202

Didn't they have a number of boxcars in the white scheme that eventually the lease expired and then went to LVRC, then ran around for a number of years still in the white paint? Are any of the cars in question this type of arrangement?
  by CN9634

Look for large decreases in volume up the branch and operational changes in the near future. New Page is going down the drain and a complete shutdown is looming.
  by S1f3432

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-1 ... -exit.html

Those layoffs have been in the works for a while now- I've heard things from the rumour mill to the effect that the mills
future 3-4 years down the road doesn't look good. At the same time there is talk about some construction work in the not
too distant future. Until NewPage actually announces something it's purely speculation.
  by CN9634

My cousins work in the mill. They are selling paper at a loss and ripping apart machines to potentially sell/scrap. Operationally for the RR, they are cutting back 4 jobs a week east of Rigby (IE Rumford jobs).
  by roberttosh

Sounds like they are asking the town for a reduction in taxes so that Rumford would be on par with New Page's other mills from a taxes standpoint. Towns generally don't like to lower taxes, but if the mill closes down they will be in a world of hurt.
  by newpylong

That certainly isn't good. All the reason the RR needs to reinvent themselves and start to haul goods they haven't historically done.

Good news over at the Millinocket mills at least...
  by KSmitty

New Page also just got hit with a hefty fine for energy market manipulation. It was reduced due to their bankruptcy protection but still numbered in the 7 digit range...

Edit* Article link. Fine of just over 3 million. No small potatoes for sure... http://bangordailynews.com/2013/03/27/b ... ref=search