Railroad Forums 

• RS60?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #168564  by ajt

Is RS60 back to daylight out of Pine-Aire, and working east to Yaphank and Southold?

#168671  by badneighbor

check the pine-aire thread ... more details there.

#168820  by jayrmli

At least until the end of the month they are.

Jay

#183748  by badneighbor

I went out two times this week. It seems the 60 is later and later, i recall it being out of KO as early as 920 or so. I guess that day is over. Is the job actually coming from Hicksville or is the equipment getting tied down in Brentwood? It seems later, and as I saw today, they apparently had to lay up in Yaphank at midday to be clear for the scoot coming westbound. Is this a daily layup now? i remember this being done further east in the morning. Is there more stops and pickups before you get to Yaphank? Just curious, I was at near Waverly Ave, then by Yaphank Station today.

#183932  by jayrmli

See what happens when the conductor takes a few days off? :wink:

Jay

#184020  by jayrmli

All kidding aside, the job has both left later and finished later due to heavier carloads. With two (soon to be three) customers in Pineaire that may have to be switched in the morning (and the crew sometimes waiting for their switching instructions for one hour), and having to switch their train to go east, the old "slot" of leaving Pineaire at 9:00 is a distant memory. The ususal leaving time out of Pineaire now is 9:30 (and sometimes 10:30). There have been days where the switching at Pineaire has been so much that the RS-60 only goes out in the afternoon, leaving Pineaire at 1:30.

Once out, the big time consumer is switching Gershow. This time of year is especially time consuming with the wheels slipping from the leaf residue. The constant state of disrepair of the engines doesn't help matters either. If it gets too late, they may have to clear at YA for Train 203.

Jay

#184028  by badneighbor

they had a lot of gondolas in Medford, so surely they were at Gershow a while then. Also a long string of Boxcars, so if that comes from Pine Aire that explains it. They were in fact running the engines around, and still had a few center line flats loaded with lumber, so is guess those were being dropped at Holtsville. They were laid up at 1230 at YA, so they did seem to be waiting for the scoot. I guess Yaphank is the only siding in the area they would fit that long of a train into to wait.

#184139  by jayrmli

If they have to switch Sherwood Lumber in Holtsville, they're basically stuck at Yaphank until the Scoot passes at 2:00.

Wish someone would open a deli by the station or something. Nothing to eat for miles. Hope the conductor this week packed a lunch!

Jay

#184172  by tushykushy

.... or you can bring a frizbee and play with the K9's that's at the Suffok Police Dept. near YA station.

#184311  by rb

Jay,

Could you please refresh my memory? Who will be the 3rd customer at Pineaire?

Thanks.

Rob

#184502  by mainline

Third customer will be Emjay Environmental. Cars on site. Operation is probably waiting for its transfer facility permit.

#184545  by rb

Thanks.

#184592  by jayrmli

Service to Emjay should start in about 1 month. (Although I have heard that one before.)

Jay