Railroad Forums 

• RS40 LIC times

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1150131  by R36 Combine Coach

It has been reported that the Arch Street (Hunters Point) freight terminal along with the Montauk Cutoff viaduct and Yard A connection would be closed in a year to two as NYA plans to relocate LIC operations to a new freight facility directly on the Montauk Branch. Being so, I'm now trying to catch NYA freight switching in Hunters Point (Arch Street) and on the cutoff before the realignment.

I know here that RS40 switches LIC three days a week. I sometimes see RS40 from the #7 above as well. Usually the schedule is weekday midday between 11:00 and 1:00.

Is there any specific day of the week it runs on and anymore schedule info?
 #1150283  by AlKaLI

Doesn't the RS40 run M-F? I caught it this past Wednesday with 106/105 from a Penn Sta. bound LIRR M-7. It was about 11:35 AM and I saw them on the lead to Arch Street.
 #1150362  by Teutobergerwald

Doesn't it run late night/early morning, too, at times, if Bushwick Branch work is completed and time allows???
 #1162268  by DaveBarraza

Everything that Sherwood Lumber had in Arch St. is now gone. Guess its done!

Are there any other customers west of Allied Extruders and Wheelspur?
 #1162281  by freightguy

Dave,

Not since Case paper called it quits around 2000. There were talks of garbage and Metro fuel to take bio diesel all still talk. The scrap guy near Greenpoint barges his stuff to N Jersey than it goes rail from there. If they could get Hugo scrap that would probably be a big costumer. A bit of irony if the LIC passenger yard goes to NYAR Or whoever down the road if LIRR no longer utilizes it for service....
 #1162581  by DogBert

There were still 2 other customers at arch street - the people getting boxcars at the tin shed and someone getting black tanker cars - a whole lot of black tanker cars. Not sure who either of them were.
 #1162591  by rb

When I passed by about 2 weeks ago, there were 6-8 of each type of car (box and tank) in the yard.
 #1162661  by freightguy

Jay,

Handy Fat they're in LIRR old LIC HQ. Was that NYAR's first base of operation. I remember that Jackson Ave address on the W2s.
 #1175404  by R36 Combine Coach

Is it just me, or is Arch Street terminal really dead lately? I passed by on the 7 several times this month on weekdays and no action. Just a string of vegetable oil tankers and a another car or two parked each time. This morning (4/19) was the same. (When coming back on the 7 later, I thought I saw a maroon (NS or CR color) boxcar on moving on the lead from Yard A up to the Montauk Cutoff, but was probably an illusion. After all I later noticed no new cars were picked up or dropped off at Arch Street when I passed by shortly).

Perhaps this low traffic is in anticipation of the new LIC freight terminal at the former Wheelspur yard on the Montauk Branch?

[Edit: After inspecting NYA's official customer roster, there are now only two customers are Arch Street. Healthy Brand Oil (tankers), and occasional transload service for New Yung Wah Trading (reefers or boxcars). The lumber transload at City/Sherwood Lumber seems to have ended. As mentioned earlier the Sherwood operation moved out of LIC completely and no more brick deliveries. Guess I wasn't seeing things.]

@dogbert, the customer with boxcars at the aluminum (tin) freight shed would New Yung Wah, a Chinese food wholesale distrubutor.
 #1175492  by freightguy

The lumber exchange has moved out in recent times. That and the brick consignee JJT trucking were always busy down there. Citi lumber would get cars also. The lumber was always busy not sure if they moved somewhere else to transload...
 #1208160  by DogBert

R36 Combine Coach wrote:I noticed last week Arch Street had no cars: EMPTY.
Pretty sure it had another long cut of tankers this morning. If I remember I'll look tomorrow.

Overall the boxcar spot is getting a little less, and the oil seems to come and go in batches.

The 'replacement' wheelspur yard has seen no development at all, btw. I thought they were in a little more of a rush to move NY&A out of arch, but I guess not.