Railroad Forums 

• RS-3 / RS-3m Confusion

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#465682  by Cactus Jack

There seems to be various conflicting information regarding several EL units. Can anyone clear up the following with any kind of proof ?

1. When was the 1060 outshopped and did they use PC engineering or input from PC's Fritz Levernosh or did they do their own thing ? How did the EL unit differ from the Dewitt or Altoona RS-3m's

As a side note, what was the motivation or niche ? I find it hard to believe they thought it to be a 1 for 1 equivalent of a 1200 or 1000 and it seems they had enough yard engines already.

2. EL 1061 - which I suspect was really a pseudo locomotive or work in progress. Was it really tagged as 1061 by EL or was it just a work # in the shop. And the $64,000 question, was it scrapped on site or moved to Altoona as has been reported ? - any pics of it anywhere ?

3. What is the story behind the 1004 ? - Between this unit and the 1057 it appears that EL saw some reason to tie up capital in 244 power pretty late. Any reason ?

4. Where would the 1057 normally been found

5. I have heard from reliable mechanical sources that EL at some time had some RS-3's set for 1800hp. Can anyone verify or have any aditional info >

6. Much is written about "all the RS-3's stored at Marion" after the downturn in 1975- E/76. Anyone know either what RS-3's were stored or in service at 3/31/76 ?

#466880  by PCook

Wow, this one is a long time ago.

1. I don't have the exact date 1060 was outshopped. It was to be the prototype for further conversions as 244 engines in RS3's died. The EL engineering staff and the guys at Hornell were very proud of their ability to kitbash things and I doubt they borrowed much from Penn Central.

2. I recall the sources for the equipment for 1061 being identified, but I do not recall what happened to it beyond that.

3. 1004 and 1057 were both kitbashed from multiple units. The main reason for doing this was if a unit had an electrical cabinet or cab fire that made the main machinery available to swap into a unit that had fatally failed the prime mover.

4. 1057 operated out of Marion, Ohio. It was often on the Ashland Turn.

5. I doubt the 1800 HP RS3 story. That would be a 20% overload of the engine, electrical equipment and the cooling system. Considering all the problems they had with the 244 engines, it seems very unlikely.

6. I think that the list of units still operating on 3/31/76 was published but cannot identify where right now.

PC
 #466922  by jr

Regarding question 3: No answers, but an observation. As EL was preparing to close down Hornell Shop, a Buffalo television station sent a news crew out there to film the "last" locomotive that was to be repaired there.

I don't have any other details, but I have a vivid recollection of a freshly-painted RS-3 rolling out of the doors of the shop.

(I believe that CR gave the shop a brief reprieve, with some additional work on yard switchers, prior to selling the property off).

JR

#466994  by lvrr325

Someone with a good back issue collection of the ELHS magazines can tell you some numbers on EL units that had been in storage, somewhere buried in my stuff is one with an article on converting Tyco 50' flat cars to EL piggyback cars, and an article on the RS2/3 units that were sent to the PR-SL in NJ to replace the Baldwins that had been there previously.