Railroad Forums 

• RS-2/RS-3 in Hoboken Yard?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1311089  by Snowmojoe

This might seem kinda weird... but as I was sitting on the 1173 tonight pulling out of Hoboken yard, I thought I saw something and I was wondering if maybe someone could support my hypothesis, or if maybe I'm cracking up.

My train left from Track 15, so we were all the way over towards the light rail tracks, and as we rolled out we passed the maintenance building (?) on the south side of the yard on my side of the train (see photo attached). And as I was looking out the windows, I thought I saw the nose of what really looked like an RS-2 or 3 poking out of that building right where that red arrow is. I swear I saw the square nose with rounded corners and that characteristic round headlight... couldn't see any of the cab, but it was really just the very very tip of the hood that I saw. Am I nuts, or do they actually have some old equipment down there?

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Fixed the title of the thread.
 #1311235  by Snowmojoe

Yeah, I was back there this morning and the doors were closed (I made sure to look) but when I left work, I went back to see if the doors were open, and they were. All I could see in there were a couple cars. No locos, not even MOW equipment. Don't know. I swear I thought it was an RS; and I got a fairly long look - 2, 3 seconds to consider it. Oh well. I guess I took too much cough medicine.
 #1312251  by steemtrayn

Outsiders sometimes show up in Hoboken for wheel work. NYS&W SD70 comes to mind. An RS1 a BL2 appeared at the MMC once, so I guess anything is possible.
And by the way, the rabbit looks nothing like a locomotive. Looks more like a block of cheese.
 #1312279  by sullivan1985

Steve F45 wrote:Sully, that rabbit is it a battery operated mover on old alco trucks?
No, competently new design.
steemtrayn wrote:Outsiders sometimes show up in Hoboken for wheel work. NYS&W SD70 comes to mind. An RS1 a BL2 appeared at the MMC once, so I guess anything is possible.
And by the way, the rabbit looks nothing like a locomotive. Looks more like a block of cheese.
There definitely wasn't anything out of the ordinary in the yard that night.