Railroad Forums 

• RR Museums: May I Vent?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#158525  by bridpath

Personal story - just skip in disinterested ...

(Unfortunately) old enough to remember service lost on many NE lines. Not the heyday of railroading but I could still see B&M Geeps in Topsfield, MA and Ossipee, NH and the MEC through Crawford Notch was nothing short of amazing. You get the idea. In the midst of heartache - as one line after another grew silent and rust formed on the rails, there were still some real bright spots.

Watched the Conway Scenic start from nothing and it was ALWAYS worth the drive from Harrison, ME. God bless Dwight Smith (and others)! It wasn't crowded in the early days and the few miles to Conway sure seemed like "real" railroading. I'm sure my few tickets just helped the deficit increase and I watched with mixed emotion as the operation grew from one which catered to the railfan to a broader-based foundation(described so well above). It wasn't the kids that did ME in but the background music (not a Country fan - even of RR songs) and ceaseless commentary about whose farm was on the left and what else on the right ... I didn't go back for a long time ...

Others, too, of course ... some still here and others gone ... MNG in Portland, Edaville, the Wolfeboro RR ... I know it's hard to make a living in New England - railroad or not!

Now, when I want relative peace and quiet, it's "first class" fare on the Gertrude Emma and, ideally, the observation platform if available. If I just want a train interrupting the haze of a New England August afternoon, in a place no train should rightly be, I'm trackside with my camera and still amazed at how a "tourist train" makes me remember what used to be.

Not wealthy (or well-off, except by "relative standards," compared, say, to most Third World nations). I'm a 911 dispatcher by trade and my wife works hard, too, for the few dollars of disposable income that lets us "play." Still, on the increasingly rare trips to our old haunts, I'll always spend a few of those dollars for a ticket to ride - even when I'm just trackside for a few pictures.

Naive probably, maybe even a vain hope, but it's just possible that one day - if those train loads of tourists keep polishing obscure rails - that someone new will fall in love, too, with what was (and what might be) for all the "right" reasons ... just like we did.

'Course, a good Martini helps, too :wink:

Bob Ridpath
 #159388  by B&M E7

I sympathize with posters like Nells Choo Choo who find it difficult to fully enjoy the museum experience when surrounded by those who haven't a clue what's going on and couldn't care less. I have been involved as a volunteer in a number of RR museum activities since 1970 and have usually encountered similar experiences. It sort of reminds one of visiting such hallowed grounds as WESTMINSTER ABBEY in London, and encountering unsophisticated tourists acting as if they were in a theme park such as Disney World! Maybe it just indicates that people are getting stupider and stupider every few years, and UPBRINGING is becoming an archaic value (I was taught by the age of 5 or 6, to NOT EVER step in front of ANYONE aiming a camera). One of these days I'll finally realize that it's too much to expect, to expect others to do the same.
I guess I'm showing my age and being a fuddy duddy at that, so I won't ramble on but I will make a suggestion.
Join a RR Museum as a volunteer, and get behind the scenes restoring equipment (or be center stage OPERATING the equipment) OR BOTH.
You'll develop a whole new circle of like minded friends who share your interests. You'll be able to enjoy trains in the context you wish to. Also, you'll be able to network with insider's of other RR museums and occaisionally get the insiders royal carpet treatment. Don't forget to ask any museum volunteer diehard about the AWESOME terrific times had at the annual conventions of the ASSOCIATION OF RAILWAY MUSEUMS.
There ARE people like you out there. Go find them and you'll enjoy the whole RR museum experience so much more

#159488  by Engineer999

I have to say that general stupidity and thoughtless comments range across all parts of society, including the railfan community. It just may seem more obvious to us because there are more of them than us when we go on our favorite rides.

This is a true story.

Back when the MEC was still running 100 car freights up through Crawford Notch (I lived up there), I was chasing a train one evening up toward Crawford Notch, and I stopped to catch a telephoto shot at Willey Brook Trestle (from down on Rte. 302). As I was waiting for the train to catch up, a car comes to a screeching halt behind me, and 3 railfans jump out. Light was fading fast, so the shot with a long lense was getting iffy.

One of the railfans turned to his buddy and angrily stated that he thought that it was inconsiderate of the MEC not to run this train ealier in the day so the light would be better, and he also didn't understand why they didn't cut a flat car in behind the locomotives on each trip so that they could jump on (like hobos) in Bartlett and ride to the top of the Notch.

When the locos had crossed the bridge, they took off up Rte. 302, but not before they left 2 empty Kodak boxes in the grass at the side of the road.

Luckily, it was too dark to take any more pictures that night, so I turned around and went home. But I will never forget those comments.

Idiots are not restricted to the general population, they are everywhere.

Engineer999
 #159682  by Zog

Unfortunately the teaching of Chemistry to school students in this country is flawed. Most children are taught that the two most common elements in the Universe found on the Periodic table of Elements are Hydrogen and Helium. This teaching is incorrect as it turns out the two most common elements found in the Universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity.

#159769  by MEC407

I'm thinking about getting a set of those fancy noise-cancelling headphones, specifically for the purpose of being able to enjoy train rides without having to listen to the mindless blathering of those around me.

#159797  by djlong

Yeah, but then you miss the sounds you DO want to hear!

Ok, I'm just speaking from a rather pleasant experience on the Hobo RR up in Lincoln 48 hours ago :-)

#159798  by MEC407

djlong wrote:Yeah, but then you miss the sounds you DO want to hear!
That is true. Maybe I'll write to the folks at Bose and Shure and ask them to design a special audio filter that will cancel out the vocal frequencies but leave the railroad sounds untouched. :wink:

#160603  by Malibu

I have to admit that my family is guilty of "keeping the kids occupied" :(

Last year it was my idea go to the Cog Railway but my mothers boyfriends kids aren’t really into trains that much. They were all excited for it but then when they actually got on the train all the did was complain about what they were or weren't having for lunch and what we were going to do later and so on. I was ready to toss them over on Jacobs Ladder :wink:

Needless to say it aggravated me, even though I've been there a million times. I was more annoyed that they weren't enjoying it or paying attention... but I still had a good time. My sister was the only one wasn't upset with.... she was enjoying it too... takes after me :-D

Ok... Time for me to vent :wink:

The people that stand in front of you when you're taking a picture....... they should be shot. I was trying soooo hard to get a nice picture... with no people involved... and they were making it impossible. I finally lost my temper and yelled at a bunch of people for being in my way... I got my picture (although there were some workers in the way... but I can respect that) but for the rest of the day I was known as the "b**chy camera lady" . I had honestly stood there for 15 min waiting to get a nice shot and these people kept walking in front of me with their kids... grrrrr...

Not everyone that goes is there to annoy the hell out of us though... The best comment I ever heard though was from my boyfriend when we went on the Conway Scenic for the first time together. I had been in the gift shop trying to buy him a model of the 4266 because that’s his favorite engine (his "baby") and when I realized it wasn't the one I wanted I went outside to meet him and there was the 4266 hooking up to the cars. I could see that he had a huge smile across his face and I went to stand next to him and he got all excited and pointed out the engine to me and was upset that I didn't come out when he told me to cuz he wanted me to see it. I tried explaining to him that I was considering buying him a model of it and he cut me off in mid-sentence with "SHH I need to see it!"

I could not stop laughing... but I can totally respect it 'cuz I'm the same way around my train. :-D

So not all people who go to ride the train are there to ruin our day… I actually found the Conway Scenic very peaceful and enjoyable. I loved, were actually going back in September to go on the Crawford Notch train. I can't wait :-D I just hope we don’t get any obnoxious passengers.

:-D Malibu

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/ ... 0_0544.jpg

#160653  by BR&P

A lot of good points made here. One which probably needs to be kept in mind is that as someone stated above, it's NOT the railfans who pay the bills on the tourist lines and museums. It's Mom and Dad and the Kids, the little greasy-fingered, gum-chewing, can't-sit-still darlings. Many years ago I was involved first-hand with some excursions and the "general public" outnumbered the fans by incredible proportions.

And with that in mind, we have to remember some of these people don't know what a photo line is or the etiquite thereof (although any moron SHOULD be able to figure out if somebody is standing around aiming a camera at an engine, they'd appreciate some courtesy in taking the shot). If Mabel is on the train because the grandchildren wanted a ride, her talk about cataracts may be annoying but hey - she just generated 4 more ticket sales so that pays for a few more gallons of diesel to keep things going.

I am not involved with any railroad historical organizations but have many friends who are, and I have often thought of the benefits of tourist lines trading tours with each other. The people from one line could go in mass for a tour and perhaps charter trip on another, then return the favor at a later date. This might allow more railfan-friendly photo opportunities, and also lets each side see how the other does things (and get some ideas in the process).

As for country music songs maybe we need to come up with some especially for train rides. (Forget Roseann Cash's "Runaway Trains") How about "Two-foot Two-Step"? "End Of The Line - Line Dance"? And for the poor guy throwing the switches, "Achy Brakie" (apologies to Billy Ray, LOL)
 #160800  by Cosmo

Otto,
I don't often admit this, but I couldn't have said it any better myself. :wink:

#160892  by Steam

It can be interesting to listen to some of the commentary on tourist train rides. It's a regular "child's garden of misinformation".

Listen to adults trying to explain trains to their kids. One guy who I judged to be in his middle thirties was saying that a steam engine works because the fire from the coal goes into the cylinders like gas in an auto engine. No mention of steam at all.

I have heard many other equally outrageous comments, which taken together shows the sad state of education today. I recall taking science classes in junior high in the 50s and we had to learn how a simple steam engine worked. I guess that isn't taught anymore.

#160913  by Otto Vondrak

Do you know how many trains we've hung up at our museum because parents insist on letting their children "drive" the caboose (unknowingly engaging the hand brake)?

Want to talk about disinformation? Sometimes it comes from the museum volunteers (probably because someone told them incorrectly in the first place). I visited a museum in New England that has a lot of stationary cabooses and other equipment that you can take tours through. A lady was trying to explain how "famous" conductors would be assigned their own cabooses "as a reward for getting their trains in on time."

Rail museums are imperfect creatures. They are created by people who wish to preserve rail history. Unfortunately, they can't do it alone, so they open the doors to the general public. The downside- the product becomes somewhat dilluted and the railfans become frustrated with cabooses on the ends of passenger trains, and Santa and Easter Bunny Trains-- but then sometime at night, when no one is looking, we can set up spectacular photo shoots and bring back a moment in time just for the foamers.

Just grin and bear it and support your local rail museum. ;-)

-otto-

#161141  by Malibu

I do agree to some point that we should "grin and bear it" as Otto said... but at the same time its not just RR exhibits that these people are at. No matter where you go if you are genuinely interested in it, there’s bound to be someone there loudly talking about something completely off topic that no one really wants to hear.

People just seem to be more and more inconsiderate of others, like talking loudly, walking in front of a camera etc… Yes they contribute money and we should be thankful for that, but at the same time I don't think it’s too much to ask for a little common courtesy or respect from them.
If you want to talk about your vacation to Florida on your way up Mt. Washington that’s perfectly fine with me, as long as it's kept between you and the person you're with and I don't have to hear about your son being deathly afraid of Tigger. And it takes all of two seconds to stop walking so the person aiming the camera can take a picture....

Just my thoughts....

Malibu

#161834  by BR&P

Speaking of misinformation....years ago I worked countless trips as a dinner train conductor. The railroad supplied two crewmen in the engine and the conductor in the train, and the restaurant handled all the booking, food service etc.

It seemed at least once a trip I'd walk into a car as we rolled down the track and somebody would exclaim in mock alarm "Oh no - if the Conductor's here, who's up front driving the train?" and the others around him or her would go "hey, yeah, who IS up there?"

I don't think it was ever fellow passengers, it was always ME who said "the engineer". Somehow I don't think people 100 years ago had to be told the difference between the two.