Railroad Forums 

• RR Engineer question

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#539014  by BLACK MAC

When you take a train out how far do you normally travel (hours, miles or days) and how many are normally on the train with you (and what jobs do they have)…?

I understand all companies operate independently of one another… but, what has been your experience…

Thanks in advance.

#539075  by TB Diamond

Depends on what terminal one is working out of. Runs normally are terminal-to-terminal. One terminal I worked out of had one run that was 176.0 miles, another, 121 miles. By Federal law a crew is restricted to 12' O.D.

Length of time H.A.H.T. (Held Away from Home Terminal) depends on many variables. Don't know if the national agreement still holds, but when I retired one could be H.A.H.T. for 16' without penalty to the carrier. After 16' one would go back on time at the rate previously paid for 8' or until called on duty.

When I retired there were two people on each thru train....a conductor and engineer. On some locals there was, in addtion, a brakeman.

#539171  by BLACK MAC

TB Diamond wrote:Depends on what terminal one is working out of. Runs normally are terminal-to-terminal. One terminal I worked out of had one run that was 176.0 miles, another, 121 miles. By Federal law a crew is restricted to 12' O.D.

Length of time H.A.H.T. (Held Away from Home Terminal) depends on many variables. Don't know if the national agreement still holds, but when I retired one could be H.A.H.T. for 16' without penalty to the carrier. After 16' one would go back on time at the rate previously paid for 8' or until called on duty.

When I retired there were two people on each thru train....a conductor and engineer. On some locals there was, in addtion, a brakeman.
Thanks for the insight...

#539264  by Burner

it is still pretty much that way...

Runs vary between terminals...
I have one that is 161 miles one way and 186 coming home, another that is 197 and there are short turnaround jobs too, where you dont even go far enought away and they just cab you home.

#539269  by BLACK MAC

Burner wrote:it is still pretty much that way...

Runs vary between terminals...
I have one that is 161 miles one way and 186 coming home, another that is 197 and there are short turnaround jobs too, where you dont even go far enought away and they just cab you home.
Thank you very much... I'm starting to understand how that works!!!
 #544042  by slchub

And if you work for Amtrak your runs can be much longer as well. Our Salt Lake City to Winnemucca run is 420 miles. Of course some Amtrak runs are significantly shorter, especially for the Regional and Inter-City runs.
 #544076  by BLACK MAC

slchub wrote:And if you work for Amtrak your runs can be much longer as well. Our Salt Lake City to Winnemucca run is 420 miles. Of course some Amtrak runs are significantly shorter, especially for the Regional and Inter-City runs.
Thank you!!!