Railroad Forums 

• ROW Clearing PRR-Union Transportation to JBDML

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1329493  by Splatz

Ok. A stretch if there ever was one. But here's my story. A dodge of spring weekend to summer 539 south traffic on Fridays takes me back to Manchester via Dix. Off 68 Defense Access Highway onto Ft. Dix Road (at Lewistown Road a quick glance at the extremely small trestle on the northwest corner where it once was a full blown crossing). The ROW continues north and goes underneath the bridge I just crossed to the base and that oddly remaining set of siding tracks.

Taking a left off of Dix Rd (not ignoring the last remaining telegraph pole totally obscured by the adjacent tree in summer on the left side from the elementary school) onto Catesville Rd. and quickly looking back past the abandoned warehouse which could have had a siding to receive a boxcar, the ROW is recently cleared. The former crossing is as steep as it ever was as they must have dumped quite a bit of fill back in the day on what is a large swamp to this.

Not seen that since I have been using the dodge. The ROW of course further south is coming this way after branching off from the PRR right after Pemberton Station. No time to look in from Catesville how much was cleared.

Yes of course the power line ROW could have been cleared for access to the power line poles. Yet I could not help but think the about the sheer amount of passenger traffic which coursed through there in 1942 and then of the fascinating history of the scrappy UTC itself hosting the state's last regular service steam and surviving until as late as 1979.

Yeah both hands on the wheel and great peripheral vision for any wiseacres.