Railroad Forums 

• Route 23 spur?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#492547  by meat441

Hi everyone! New to the site but following the NYS&W for years. Need some information regarding a possible abandoened spur i noticed? The spur appears to be located in Hardyston TWP. along route 23 just north of W. Shore Rd. It seems that the spur came off the mainline, crossed over a very small bridge and then crossed route 23 heading west into the woods? The bridge was in between the mainline and route 23 seperated by about 15 feet? I tried to find information on this railbed and where it may have lead off to? Maybe the old Edison Mine area? Followed it on google earth but lost it in the woods. Could this have been from the old Midland Rd. day's? Thanks

#492602  by njmidland

Yes there was a branch that came off the NYS&W and went west about 1 mile to I believe Tamarack Lake. I believe the purpose of this branch was for ice harvesting and I think it was gone before 1930. There is a brief discussion about this branch in either the Lucas history or in Carstens book.

There are two other similar branches worth mentioning and now mostly forgotten. First was the Macopin Lake Branch and the other was a branch at Marksboro to White Lake. Both were primarily for ice although there were Summer excursions to Macopin Lake until this area came under Newark Water control.
 #492662  by meat441

Outstanding! That line does go by Tamarack Lake. Thanks