Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.

#41514  by Steam man

Do you mean the yard just south of Gray's Ferry around 24th and Jackson?
If so,yes they did have a round house and a fairly capable repair facility. my father told me many stories about the roundhouse as it was his first railroad job that he started in 1943.

#77987  by dkgrubb

Does anyone on here ever search around looking for old roundhouses or locations of former roundhouses? I found this to be an interesting way to spend an afternoon. I took the time to search out the old B&O roundhouse in Fairmont, West Virginia, where my great uncle was employed, and found this to be very rewarding. Does any one else have a roundhouse story to tell?

#77989  by dkgrubb

A friend of mine, Walter Leyh, worked at the Riverside Shops when steam engines were still around. He told a story of how one time a hostler left the cylinder cocks closed on a steam locomotive that had a leaky throttle valve. The locomotive began traveling down the track, went across the turntable which just happened to be aligned properly, through the engine stall and through the roundhouse wall. Walter was waling around the outside of the engine house when this happened, and the locomotive came crashing through the wall just a few feet ahead of where he had been walking. If he had been three steps further, he wouldn't have told me this story. I thought this was an interesting story.
Keith

#78059  by Passenger Extra

DId B&O ever have a roundhouse in Bedford, Indiana? My grandfather worked at one there, but I dont know if it was for the B&O or another road.
 #88418  by MC8000

Does anyone know how many stalls the Miami St. roundhouse had in Toledo? What year was Miami St. Yard downgraded and removed? I took a few photos of it in the late 1970's and everything still seemed to be intact.

Thanks,
Charlie

#125186  by Matt Langworthy

dkgrubb wrote:Does anyone on here ever search around looking for old roundhouses or locations of former roundhouses? I found this to be an interesting way to spend an afternoon. I took the time to search out the old B&O roundhouse in Fairmont, West Virginia, where my great uncle was employed, and found this to be very rewarding. Does any one else have a roundhouse story to tell?
The old B&O roundhouse in Rochester, NY still stands. Located on West Ave, it is adjacent to Lincoln Park- the junction of the old B&O Belt Line and the NYC Water Level Route. The roundhouse was originally a BR&P roundhouse, and saw regular use all the way into the early CSX era. When the Rochester & Southern RR purchased the line in 1986, they elected to move all locomotive maintenance to the Brooks Ave yard. The roundhouse is apparently a machine shop today.

In a strange twist, R&S now inerchanges with CSX at Lincoln Park, which obtained the Water Level Route from CR in 1999...

#464560  by rgcwork

Greetings,

I am new at this. Several friends and I have started A National Roundhouse/turntable Inventory. Most of us come from the mapping and computer fields and have railroading as a hobby - although I had worked for Amtrak one time. We use Google Earth and MSN's Virtual Earth images to log where something once was or if lucky where something that "possibly" is still standing - as of the date when the aerophoto/imagery was made. You are welcome to take a look for your personal use, but we do not guarantee that anything is there now. Things may have changed since the time of our cataloging. We use it as a guide when we travel to other places and try to find what still exists. We do have historians that have developed additional pages of text and old photographs as well descriptions of a museum's holdings. If you would like to contribute, let us know.

http://www.geocities.com/rgcwork/trains/inventory.html

Bob,