Railroad Forums 

• Roof details on FP-7/9s

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#810622  by mandealco

Hi
I'm planning on detailing an n-scale Intermountain FP-9A and want to include all the icicle breakers and avalanche lights plus the raised cooling pipes found on 1411 and I think FP-7 1404. Does anyone know where I can find some good roof photos, especially of those cooling pipes? I think I'm OK for the other details.
Cheers
Steve
Modelling NJ in NZ
 #810803  by .missthealcos.

Oooooh, someone doing some tough modelling work.

There are a few pics around, do a search for Via 6553, (CP 1404) as it kept those through upgrades etc. right to retirement from Via. Even better news, it survives today, right in my backyard. I've been meaning to go climbing and get some proper shots of the pipe arrangement, as yes, it was only on the 2 units. 1411 was retired far earlier, so pics may not be as common.
 #810995  by mandealco

Thanks "missthe alcos", I've found some more photos of VIA 6553 AC1404/1756. They've added to my confusion a little over the purpose and layout of those raised pipes. I think I can make something close, but not sure close enough yet. I'll keeping studying the photos.
Cheers
Steve
I miss the Alcos too, but have some great memories of them from travels to the USA, Canada & Australia.
 #950636  by mandealco

Hi
After a year of searching for photos and looking at materials to construct the roof details, my CP Rail FP-9A is only airhorns away from completion. I'm happy with the results, but it's still a best guess.
Cheers
Steve
Modelling NJ in NZ
 #1001075  by mandealco

Thanks Tadman, I've since added the airhorn and redone the headlights with twin MV lenses. Hope to ride the Canadian next year, would be better behind a couple of these.
Cheers
Steve