Railroad Forums 

• Rolling Trains By

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#403161  by jerry albritton

why does the conductor of a freight train thats on a siding,
get out of the cab when a train approachs from the opposite
direction.

#403165  by DutchRailnut

They are suppose to give a roll by inspection of train passing them.

#403191  by CSX-COAL HAULER

They are looking for dragging equipment, stuck brakes, shifted loads and things that are similar. Alot of times if a car has stuck brakes you can SMELL it as it rolls by. :P

#403316  by powerpro69

They get better reception on their cell phone down there :-D

#403409  by qboy

powerpro69 wrote:They get better reception on their cell phone down there :-D
Must have excellent hearing to be on cell phone giving a roll-by and bold.

#404089  by gp9rm4108

On the CN system ... the engineer is required to get out and inspect the locomotive side and the cndr is supposed to check the far side of the train.

The conductor is ALSO supposed to walk his train while waiting in a siding for a meet and walk back up to inspect the oncoming train across from the engineman.

#404105  by powerpro69

the engineer is required to get out and inspect the locomotive side
But that would mean they would have to get up and put there boots on and all kinda stuff!

#404112  by scharnhorst

I've seen CP Rail crews do roll bys when they do Crew changes. They were checking for open doors on trailers, shipping containors, and on boxcars. As well as stcking brakes, shifting loads, leaking air hoses, and outher things of that nature.

#404124  by powerpro69

Sag,Bag and Drag

#404341  by slchub

Hey Power, you still cut back?

#404432  by powerpro69

NO, I'm hanging on by the skin of my teeth though, 7 guys between me and unemployment