Railroad Forums 

• Rockland Branch Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1614985  by markhb

The Rockland Courier-Gazette has noticed that the MaineDOT Work Plan includes $3 million to restore passenger service Brunswick-Rockland, in the form of DMUs to be operated by Finger Lakes. Unlike the former Maine Eastern service which ran heritage units, FL is currently refurbishing cars for ADA compliance. Fair use clip:
Finger Lakes Railway proposes round trips each day from Rockland to Brunswick. From May through October, the plan is to have two daily round-trip trains on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. The train would make stops in Newcastle, Damariscotta, Wiscasset and Bath as well. A stop in Waldoboro is also under consideration.

Under the plan, self-propelled rail cars would be used with the number of cars dependent on the number of passengers. Each rail car can carry 80 people.

No announcement has been made on when the service would start if the plan moves ahead.
If one wishes to compare to the Maine Eastern service, I've found that searching the interwebs for 2014_MERR_Schedule.pdf will find several copies stashed about. I believe that was the fullest build-out of their service.
 #1615060  by FatNoah

The Rockland Courier-Gazette has noticed that the MaineDOT Work Plan includes $3 million to restore passenger service Brunswick-Rockland,
This is awesome news. I've regretted not riding this line when it was possible with MERR.
 #1615104  by markhb

Thanks, @MaineCoonCat!

If they actually start selling tickets, I'll have to dig up the Wikipedia template I created for the MERR service!
 #1615301  by artman

FatNoah wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:23 am This is awesome news. I've regretted not riding this line when it was possible with MERR.
I rode it once back in 2010ish. There were torrential rains on the way up from Brunswick and the windows were fogged up the whole trip. Returning to the Rockland station the next day to come back down, the station agent ran out to us to tell us there was a track washout, and that we'd have to take Concord coach back to Brunswick.

Real bummer, was not able to see the amazing (I hear) scenery either way, so i wil b e on this new service as ASAP!
 #1615447  by MaineCoonCat

I can testify to it being a nice ride..

Crossing the Sheepscot, 2011
 #1619767  by NHV 669

Both units and 14 cement loads west today, sounds like there will be an announcement regarding passenger service in the not too distant future.
 #1620813  by JBlaisdell

I noticed a bunch of cars on the Lower Road just before it crosses US 1 in Brunswick. Are they making the interchange there due to space at the Amtrak facility?