• Rockingham Jct.station

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by b&m 1566

I assume the foundation would be dug behind the station? I can't image building a foundation in the current spot, it would require the station to be moved twice, plus it would require a temporary retaining wall to be pile driven into the ground to help support the track bed and that would just add unnecessary expenses.
  by jbvb

On one discouraging visit to Rockingham Jct., maybe in the early 80s, the station foundation had partly caved in along the east (main line) side. I thought that had put paid to the whole business, so its survival has always seemed a blessing to me.
  by arthur d.

After the turn of the millennium, one of the owners-in the long series of owners- a builder, dumped an enormous amount of money into the structure, including extensive rehab of the foundation, as well as windows, siding, and electrical service, it may have also gotten water and sewer, but I don't remember. Plans were for something along the lines of a coffee or sandwich shop, possibly a pub. What killed everything was, buried in the deed, a right of way for railroad vehicles around the west side of the building.