Railroad Forums 

• Rockaway Valley Line

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#256489  by henry6

Yes, Bobby, the book will tell you that and a lot more, too. There was no connection between the Passaic and Delaware and the Rockaway Valley because the RV was north and at a higher elevation than the P&D.

#299719  by Adirondack

In the early 80's my wife and I were looking for a building lot somewhere in the Tewksbury area. We drove to a wooded lot, walked in, and found what I thought may have been an ore loading ramp, but may have been a coal pocket. It was heavy concrete, pretty large, and totally overgrown with trees.

Might this have been a remnant of the Rockaway Valley? I didn't know about the RR at the time, and didn't investigate further. Old geographical survey maps (www.historical.maptech.com) don't show enough detail. I do remember (from Tom Tabor's book?) that there was one coal pocket built along the line that wasn't finished until the line closed.
 #300236  by henry6

But Tewksbury is 50 miles from Rockaway Valley line...T'bry is in Monmouth County, I believe, while the Rock'a'bye Baby was in Morris and Hunterdon County. Down your way there are quite a number of old CNJ and PRR railbeds, however.

#300587  by Adirondack

henry6:

I wasn't aware that there was another Tewksbury, but I was thinking of Tewksbury township, somewhat north of Whitehouse Station, near Oldwick. I am not sure of the exact boundaries of the township (nor do I remember exactly where we saw the remains), but it was in the vicinity of the Rockaway Valley ROW. If only I'd had my camera.
 #300611  by henry6

Ah hah! The township not the village or town!!!! That's a different story. Did not realize Oldwick and vicinity had a Tewksbury Twp. My bad.

#300646  by CarterB

Was the coal dumper anywhere near Oldwick on Lamington Rd?

#301045  by Adirondack

That is very generally the area, but I don't remember specifically. It might be that we were further north, although I don't think we were anywhere near as far as Peapack/Gladstone.

Using a geographical survey map from historical.maptech.com and google maps / satellite image I have traced the ROW through the area, and don't see anything like what I remember. (Two monitors side-by-side would be nice.)

Was there a coal pocket near Lamington Road?