Railroad Forums 

• Rochester Subway freight derailment, 1962

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1395778  by BR&P

Found a clipping from the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle from 1962, about a derailment in the old Rochester subway. I know we have some subway fans on here, so here's a rare glimpse into the "underworld". They sure have that car into the dirt!
img230.jpg
img230.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 2723 times
 #1396207  by bwparker1

Was the line at that time being used as some type of thru route between the various Rochester railroads, or was Gannett actually getting a tank car delivered?
 #1396219  by BR&P

The subway used to be used for interchange, so I'm not sure who the tank car was coming from.

The locomotive was supplied by NYC, but the crews rotated 3 months at a time. I 'm 95% sure it was the Erie which did not participate, but the other 4 (NYC, B&O, LV and PRR) provided the crews each quarter.
 #1396530  by bwparker1

Makes sense, thanks for the answer... Do you know when they stopped using the subway track for interchange, was it when the LVRR closed up shop on the East side of the Genesee River?
 #1396544  by BR&P

Off the top of my head I'd say once LV joined PC in the new Conrail, it was all the same team and traffic did not need to move that way. But I don't have documentation to verify that guess.
 #1396550  by BR&P

I found my box of NYC paperwork from 1953 and it includes Subway interchange reports. LV to NYC in December was 104 cars, including 60 for Kodak, 12 for Domine, 11 for R.T French, 6 for Genesee Brew, 3 for Southern Wheel (Yes, they made railroad car wheels right here in Rochester).

The sheets are 11 x 17 and my scanner will only copy part of that but I did 3 sheets, showing car numbers, commodity, customer, etc. But when I try to upload the attachment here, I'm getting a notice the file is invalid. I did this the exact same way I scan and upload other stuff, including the article in the OP. Any tech guys know why I can't get it to upload?
 #1396570  by bwparker1

Don, the only thing I can think of is that your scan file size is too big for this database. I think there are size limits when you upload a file directly into your post, but someone like Otto can confirm if that is the case.
 #1396572  by Jeff Smith

Otto doesn't own or administer the site anymore and hasn't in about 5 years. The size limit is 50kb for Avatars, and phpBB can be finicky with photo attachments. I've never really mastered it. I always suggest that photo's be linked to if they can't be uploaded. We may be improving that functionality in the near to mid-term future, but nothing on the immediate horizon.
 #1396575  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:I found my box of NYC paperwork from 1953 and it includes Subway interchange reports. LV to NYC in December was 104 cars, including 60 for Kodak, 12 for Domine, 11 for R.T French, 6 for Genesee Brew, 3 for Southern Wheel (Yes, they made railroad car wheels right here in Rochester).

The sheets are 11 x 17 and my scanner will only copy part of that but I did 3 sheets, showing car numbers, commodity, customer, etc. But when I try to upload the attachment here, I'm getting a notice the file is invalid. I did this the exact same way I scan and upload other stuff, including the article in the OP. Any tech guys know why I can't get it to upload?
best way is use your phone camera, if you have the latest phone. They're much better than they were 3 years ago. I have been using my camera to take pic of letters and receipts and send them out to people without any rejections.

you can use your phone camera to take picture instead of scan it. then upload to here...
 #1396585  by BR&P

Ken, you give my tech skills way too much credit!

I tried copying the report and scanning that, no dice. Then I put the report in a plastic sleeve and scanned that, but it still will not upload.

I tried, guys! Image And for once I knew where the stuff was, instead of "Somewhere I have...."
 #1396638  by CPSmith

Does your scanner have the option of "save as pdf" ? pdf files tend to be smaller and within the limits here. Generally, I have to save my photos as "low res" (500k or less) in order to post here. If you get stuck, I'll be in town all weekend if you need help ...
 #1396647  by BR&P

You may have something there. The pics I have been posting have been in the 250-300kb range. The interchange summary report shows a file size of about 2.5MB. I'll try shrinking it down and see what happens. Might get to it tonight, maybe tomorrow afternoon.

I appreciate the help offer, looks like a real busy weekend so if this doe not work I may have to wait till next week.
 #1396810  by BR&P

Probably live trees, lumber would have been identified as such.

Southern Wheel was on the northeast edge of Goodman Street Yard. They had 2 tracks, and were down by the New Hump yard. The New Hump was removed about the time R.T. French expanded their plant. (Or possibly when they first built the plant, I'm not sure how long they have been in that location).