• (Rochester) How about a Yates Dock hike this Sunday?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by BR&P

Well guess what I just came across. Going through my notes of long-ago BR&P stuff for a different matter but came across this injury report:

June 20, 1908 at Yates Dock. The engineer of the Dock Train, G.A. Reisinger, age 37, turned his ankle. Conductor was Bundschuck.

Does not answer any of our questions, just thought it was neat in view of our discussion and exploration.
  by BR&P

For anyone interested in the man himself, following links will provide some biographical info on Arthur G. Yates (1843-1909).

https://books.google.com/books?id=am5JA ... al&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 1091413811" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin ... &id=I24662" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by RailKevin

A bit off topic, but it looks like Mr. Yates was busy with many different projects. The following excerpt is from the Monroe County Library images website.
Title Yates cow barn, Greece, N.Y.
Photographer/Artist Yates, Harry.
Date circa 1911.
Physical Details 1 photograph : sepia ; 17 x 21 cm.
Summary The Yates-Thayer cow barn at 710 Latta Road in Greece. The barn was part of a gentleman's farm built by Arthur G. Yates, president of the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh Railroad Co. In 1914 the "Elmtree Fram" was sold to Samuel Thayer. The barn was destroyed by fire in 1945. In this view a steam tractor, a hay baling machine and a horse and buggy are shown.
Notes Cataloger's note: Appears to be a reproduction of the circa 1911 original.
On verso: Yates-Thayer Elmtree Farm.
Here's a direct link to the image: http://photo.libraryweb.org/rochimag/gr ... s00047.jpg

It's curious the photographer is Harry Yates. I wonder if there is a relation to Arthur. I tried searching for more of his photos but the MC Library website is being uncooperative at this time.
  by CPSmith

The house appears to still be there (see attached). It's for sale in this dated google maps view. Fleming Point (retirement home) is on a portion of what used to be part of the Yates property.
  by RailKevin

That's likely it. The fancy gate with no driveway was probably the main entrance. The barn in the back appears to be a similar style as the one in the original photo (although the original burned down).

Wasn't A. Yates a resident of PA? I wonder if he spent his summers up here at the "dude ranch". :P
  by RailKevin

Well, a little more digging revealed Arthur had a son named Harry. Still not sure if it's the same photographer, or if he had pics of other Yates properties. Also, Arthur looks to have had a residence on South Fitzhugh Street in Rochester.
  by BR&P

Arthur G Yates was a Rochester resident and there are several mentions of the South Fitzhugh St residence. His son Harry lived into the 1950's. Harry was at one time president of the Silver Lake Railroad.

An interesting note is that there was a prominent Rochester businessman named Walter B. Duffy. Mr. Duffy had 3 daughters. One married Jeremiah Hickey, as in Hickey-Freeman clothing. His second daughter married Harry Yates, son of Arthur G. Yates. And the third daughter married William T. Noonan, General Manager (and later president) of the Buffalo Rochester & Pittsburgh Ry.
  by CPSmith

In the CSX Charlotte Runner forum, I posted the following comment a while back, in regard to a photo somewhere on this site that I can no longer find:

"The photo in question shows the loop (or leg of a wye) in the immediate foreground and looks north toward the mouth of the river. It can be dated between 1905 and 1915, since the swing bridge (1905) is evident in the distance, but the Stutson St. bridge (construction started around 1915) is absent. Whether it had anything to do with the Yates dock is conjecture at this point."

I just came across the attached photo. While it's not the one I referenced above, it can dated in the same time frame and is part of the Albert R. Stone negative collection. I wouldn't be surprised if the two photos were taken the same day.

So I think I'm on the right track (no pun intended). Now it's just a matter of more digging ...
  by RailKevin

The land is very low with respect to the water, which leads me to believe the tracks closest to the river may be South Yard. It's Yates Dock related, but it does not show the Dock. We're getting closer, though! :P
  by BR&P

Interesting pic, good find! Note the laker headed out toward the lake just past the swing bridge.

Sadly the detail is crappy - over near the river it's all distorted when I blow it up. It does NOT clearly show any tracks so we might guess this is just after the Charlotte Docks trestle became operational and the two tracks from the South Yard to Yates Dock have been removed?
  by CPSmith

OK, the main issue with going though all these photos (tens of thousands ...) is that they are not labeled, not in order, and not captioned. One photo, it's a parade, the next photo it's someone ice fishing, etc., so it's more plodding than searching.

I believe it's Lincoln Park but have no confirmation.

You'll like this one more:
  by BR&P

CPSmith wrote:OK, the main issue with going though all these photos (tens of thousands ...) is that they are not labeled, not in order, and not captioned.
The other problem is some ARE captioned, and with incorrect information. That one above, with the engine and string of bobber cabooses at Lincoln Park, when I saw it was labeled something about a train of empty coal cars headed back to the mines!

And staying on the general subject of Yates Dock AND incorrect captions, I have seen a shot of the South Yard at Charlotte, which I was disgusted to see labeled as the BR&P yard. Well, CPS, in that other thread you quoted a court case saying the land and ties belonged to Yates and the rails belonged to NYC&HR (or do I have ties and rails reversed?) Anyway, since Yates was heavily involved with BR&P both as a customer and as its president, maybe at the time of the photo that yard could have - in some respects - be considered a BR&P facility. I MIGHT have a link to that pic but don't think so (and it's probably no longer valid anyway).

Do we even dare to hope a shot of Yates Dock is buried in there somewhere?