• Rochester D&C - "From the Archives" photo coal train 1939

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by CPSmith

The caption states this is the first shipment of coal into Rochester after a 1939 miners' strike. Any guess as to location? Is that the NYC main on the right?
  by charlie6017

At first glance it makes me wonder if this is just west of MP 374 with the ex BR&P/B&O Belt-line bridge?

Charlie
  by Matt Langworthy

I agree, Charlie. The factory at left looks like General Railway Signal, too.
  by CPSmith

If anything, the bridge looks like the overhead walkway at the end of Cairn St. Note the steam pipe in both photos.

But if that's true, I have a hard time figuring out the rest.
  by BR&P

Those are ex BR&P cabooses. The cars are on the B&O, east of Buffalo Road, view westward. The Buffalo Road underpass is just east of those cabooses. The large brick building by the man's head is the BR&P/B&O back shop. If anybody has Pietrak's BR&P book, see page 173, top photo. Shows that building and the rather unique smokestack. NYC main is at the right of the photo.
  by sd80mac

hopper looks small.. take few steps to walk the length of hopper.

2 bays?
  by BR&P

sd80mac wrote:hopper looks small.. take few steps to walk the length of hopper.

2 bays?
Those WERE smaller hoppers in those days, probably 50-ton capacity at the most. Two pockets were the norm.

Also I think the photo used a telephoto lens, or whatever the 1939 equivalent of one was. When I use magnification, the distance seems shortened up. The buildings above the cabooses would actually be way down West Avenue, beyond the Lincoln Park depot and on the opposite side of the street.
  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:Those WERE smaller hoppers in those days, probably 50-ton capacity at the most. Two pockets were the norm.

yeah. I know it's small but I thought it's still a good walk from one end to other end. But now that I finally see the pic with person standing on the pile of coal in hopper. Now I can see it's much smaller than I thought...
  by BR&P

Looked in the July '66 ORER. B&O 320000 series 50-ton hoppers were 30 feet long. Not sure if those were a USRA design but regardless, they are just about what comes to mind when thinking of cars in that era. If anybody has older HO equipment I believe the Varney B&O hopper was 320835.