Railroad Forums 

• Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1120971  by charlie6017

Thank you very much.......wasn't 100% sure, just wasn't sure what the deal was--especially with the two reflectorized
ties laying across the track.

Thanks again,
Charlie
 #1121217  by sd80mac

charlie6017 wrote:Thank you very much.......wasn't 100% sure, just wasn't sure what the deal was--especially with the two reflectorized
ties laying across the track.

Thanks again,
Charlie
reflectorized ties????? explain more pls? and the purpose of that? where would I see these on CSX mainlines? got any pics?

thanks
 #1121218  by charlie6017

I'll see if I can grab a pic of it today. It just looks to be a couple old ties with a couple small orange reflectors on them
lying across the tracks near the Dewey Ave crossing north of Ridge Rd West. Not something you would see on any
main-line. I don't think a train has come down this far in quite a long time. It's on the R&S track......not CSX's line
adjacent to it.

Charlie
 #1243014  by thebigham

I just saw the R&S at Silver Springs this afternoon.

Does this train have a regular schedule?

At 4:17pm:

They were about to couple onto their train.

#50 is still in very faded Conrail paint.
 #1243260  by terms-d

thebigham wrote:Does this train have a regular schedule?
For the time being, RS-1 (the train to Silver Springs) and GW-1 (the train to the salt mine in Mount Morris) have swapped schedules. This occurs for a period in the winter due to conflicts with loading snowplows at the mine.

The "normal" schedule the rest of the year entails GW-1 being an afternoon run to the salt mine while RS-1 runs at night. I don't recall the exact start times off the top of my head, but I believe GW-1 is around 1000 normally and RS-1 is around 2100 normally.
 #1243603  by charlie6017

thebigham wrote:^Thanks!

Is there a Yahoo group for the R&S?
I searched and there is no R&S yahoo group exclusively, but there is a GWI Yahoo
group that covers all of their roads collectively.

Charlie
 #1248874  by thebigham

thebigham wrote:I just saw the R&S at Silver Springs this afternoon.

Does this train have a regular schedule?

At 4:17pm:

They were about to couple onto their train.

#50 is still in very faded Conrail paint.
The battery in my camera died that die I saw this train so my friend took pics from the passenger seat of my car.

This was the only salvageable pic and it's still not very good:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=213791" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't seen G&W #50 in years.

Still in faded Conrail paint from when the G&W bought it in 1985.

It's sister unit, #51, did get the orange & black.
 #1248876  by thebigham

charlie6017 wrote:

I searched and there is no R&S yahoo group exclusively, but there is a GWI Yahoo

Charlie
Yes, there is no R&S Yahoo group.

The moderator of the GWI Yahoo group said it includes the R&S.

Thanks!
 #1249763  by nessman

There's also the Rochester Railfan group which I own - although admittedly traffic on that has slowed to a trickle in the past several years but I keep the list up and running as there's a lot of historical information and pictures I'd hate to see get lost.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/roc ... ilfan/info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1249901  by scottychaos

thebigham wrote:
charlie6017 wrote:

Charlie

Thanks!
IMO, this NY state forum on RR.net is a MUCH better place to discuss the R&S than a general G&W yahoo group..
1. because yahoo groups suck in general. (I have always hated the format..it hasn't changed since 1995)
2. and because that would be a "general G&W" forum, which encompasses the world, and R&S discussion would be a minor aspect to that group, and would likely get lost,
and there would probably be few members there interested in the R&S specifically..so little replies to questions, and little discussion.

There is a much better place..where nearly everyone is from NY state, more people actually interested in the R&S, and much better discussion about the R&S can be found.
It is located here:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 28&t=86934" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot
 #1249914  by charlie6017

scottychaos wrote:
thebigham wrote:
charlie6017 wrote:

Charlie

Thanks!
IMO, this NY state forum on RR.net is a MUCH better place to discuss the R&S than a general G&W yahoo group..
1. because yahoo groups suck in general. (I have always hated the format..it hasn't changed since 1995)
2. and because that would be a "general G&W" forum, which encompasses the world, and R&S discussion would be a minor aspect to that group, and would likely get lost,
and there would probably be few members there interested in the R&S specifically..so little replies to questions, and little discussion.

There is a much better place..where nearly everyone is from NY state, more people actually interested in the R&S, and much better discussion about the R&S can be found.
It is located here:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 28&t=86934" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot
I agree completely!

Charlie
 #1298102  by thebigham

The Rochester & Southern has built a new siding at Silver Springs on original Silver Lake RR trackage:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=219617" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trees have been cut which has opened up the view here. Notice the exR&S bridge in the distance over the NS mainline:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=219618" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking the other way towards Silver Springs. This is original Silver Lake RR track:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=219619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1302483  by thebigham

^I've been told the salt train's crew begins work at 11am at the Brooks Ave yard.

It usually takes a few hours for them to leave the yard for Mt. Morris.

I caught the Mt. Morris bound salt train at P&L Jct this afternoon around 2:45pm.

3101, 3032, 2030, 104 and approx. 77 cars.