• RJ Corman in Catlettsburg, KY...

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

by iceman977th

Well, I know there was an accident involving what looked like a local or manifest in Kenova, WV, but I was passing Marathon Oil eastbound on I-64 and looked down, and on a short siding, I saw a pair of RJ Corman locomotives, looked like Alco's (rounded cab top) sitting down there, didn't hear about anything there. Anyone know of why they're there? I'd love to get pictures and such, but they're parked at least 1/4 way inside the front gates. Thanks.
  by charlie6017

Moved to "Short Lines" forum........
  by dirtydave

corman ships asphalt oil for hinkle contracting in the winter when prices are lower from a terminal at catlettsburg to a storage facility at bluegrass station just east of lexington ky.
  by iceman977th

dirtydave wrote:corman ships asphalt oil for hinkle contracting in the winter when prices are lower from a terminal at catlettsburg to a storage facility at bluegrass station just east of lexington ky.
Yeah, I figured they were doing switch work. Went by and barely saw them lined up on the siding with tank cars hooked up. Dunno why they had them sitting there for two days prior. o_O
  by iceman977th

They're back. GP16's #1607 and #1827 were sitting in the siding again. Haven't seen them for a while. Anyone know if they're being leased to Marathon Oil or what?

Those that have Google Earth, if you go to the center of Catlettsburg, KY and follow the railroad line south, just past I-64 is the siding on the east side.
  by dirtydave

dont know about the lease to marathon. they do contract to haul all of hinkles oil which usually amounts to somewhere around 3 million gallons +. and they just had a new storage facility in somerset ky come online in the past 2 months, maybe filling those tanks up now.