Railroad Forums 

• Riverhead, NY, Railfest 8.23 & 24. 2014

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#1289117  by bellstbarn

Today, Saturday, August 23, 2014, I much enjoyed a morning visit to the annual Railfest of the Railway Museum in Riverhead, Long Island. The museum is open other weekends, but this annual Railfest drew crowds who obviously had a great time. Please note that the Railfest it is also open tomorrow, Sunday, August 24, 2014.

Rides on the train from the 1964 New York World's Fair were included in the $8 admission ticket ($4 for children).

In the background is the building which contains an extraordinary model railroad exhibit. A local f.m. station, WLGN, broadcast from the porch for many hours. Quite a promotion! I listened to it after noon, on my way home.

The Long Island Garden Railway Society http://www.ligrs.com/ has a permanent outdoor exhibit of great interest. The onion dome might represent a Riverhead church.

I took the above photo because of the pair of LIRR Budd RDC's and the subway tracks to the lower left, on which a two-car Indepedent train ran clockwise and a four-car very old Interborough train (high voltage railroad-roof cars?) ran counter-clockwise. Many people were around the other sides of this very attractive layout when I took this photo.