Railroad Forums 

• River Line (West Shore RR) Freight Schedules?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#207593  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

Does anyone know the schedules of freight trains on the River Line (West Shore RR) between Weehawken and Selkirk on the weekends. My son and I just spent 2 hours waiting to see a freight around Congers, NY. As we started to leave, as you would expect it, here comes a southbound freight with about 100 cars. Very frustrating. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

#207682  by charlie6017

There is no "set schedule" per se, but there is a website where you can see approximate times that trains run by. It is http://www.bullsheet.com

Click on "Bulletin Board" and then "Freight Trains". Go to "Q Trains" and find "Freight trains by station." Selkirk or "North Bergen or Little Ferry, NJ" may give you info you want.

Wednesdays thru Saturdays are best usually anywhere.

#208044  by FireChaserE3

Worse thing about the River Line is its unpredictability. My friend and I railfan up at Iona on the weekends and there are days when we can sit from 9AM until 5PM and see not one train and other days we can see at least ten. I definatelty feel your frustration.

Best bet.....if you have a scanner put in the River Line frequency and the EOT. Sometimes if there is track work or signal problems, I have noticed that the line is dead.....and you can sometimes hear this on the radio.

Jim F.

#212829  by hazmatmess

FireChaserE3 wrote:Worse thing about the River Line is its unpredictability. My friend and I railfan up at Iona on the weekends and there are days when we can sit from 9AM until 5PM and see not one train and other days we can see at least ten. I definatelty feel your frustration.
Jim, you are so right about that. Was up there last month and took my future brother-in-law (14 yrs old) railfanning for the first time. Woke him up at 6:30am on a Saturday, get to Iona Island around 8 and didn't see our first train until about 1pm. Only saw 3 trains that day. Signal problems held things up. The highlight of the day was seeing a bald eagle in flight. And the week before that, got up there at 8 and saw about 5 trains within the first hour I was there. Anyway, bring something good to read to pass the time, make friends trackside to have good conversations with.... I'd rather have a bad day railfanning then shopping with the wife to be. LOL
Tim

#212860  by Steve F45

I went yesterday morning and afternoon. Hung around bergen trpk/bbq restaurant, then mt. vernon, then all the way up in west englewood. I could sit for hours not see a thing, as soon as i drive away i hear something coming. I saw 2 trains yesterday, can't remember what though. Here's the only good pic i got of this one as he flew past around 50mph or faster.

#212940  by LCJ

Nice looking power.

#212996  by Steve F45

I was on rt.7 in kearny around 11amish and saw him as the rear engine headed i think to oak island. Then 4 hours later i see him fly past me.
SD70ACe. Theeeee loudest horn i've ever had the experience beeing next to when blasted.