Railroad Forums 

• RIP - NH #8315, #6105, others

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #105995  by shadyjay

I ventured down the Valley Railroad's Essex yard today and found a group of 5 rail cars sitting on the #7 track. Half the cars are VRR-owned while the other half are RMNE-owned. Among them is one of the 3 ex-NH American Flyer cars (8315) still left on the property. There is also an ex-NH baggage-smoker #6105 there as well. I was told that these cars are all going to get cut up any day now.

By investigating the RMNE/Naugatuck Railroad's web site, I have noticed several notices of "Spring Cleaning" at the Saybrook yard. Some of these cars came from that area. There may be more history lost than just these 5 cars. If you want to see them, they are in an area open to the public so get your pictures now --- remember though to stay off the equipment and observe from ground level. Or just see the pictures I took on the NERAIL photo archive (under "Jay Hogan").

-JH
 #106425  by H.F.Malone

It would be nice to get your facts correct, Mr. T-- 6800 and 2789 are NOT a part of this disposition. You did overlook 5583, a 1927 O.B. steel (well, not much "steel" left!!) baggage car, aka the "salt bagg".

NOTE to moderator: Thank you for correcting the car numbers and removing the 6800 and 2789 from the "red" list.

"We lost a lot"?? Who's "we"?? Didn't know these cars belonged to you and your buddies. And where were these going to be "offered" to? And moved--HOW? Get real. Everything can't be saved. You might consider worrying about what still exists, and you might consider supporting the organizations that do the work.

H.F.M
who paid cash for 8315 from MBTA and donated it to CVRM and is sorry to see it go (but knows that it's necessary)

#114735  by shadyjay

Stopped by Essex today to see if the equipment referenced above was still there/was in the process of being scrapped/had been replaced by any other equipment/etc etc. The result: none of the cars that have been mentioned above were seen. Looks like they have met the torch.

Just thought y'all would like to know.

-JH