• RIP Lodi and Passaic branches

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by Sir Ray

The Passaic Branch I sort of figured, ever since GSP closed after Enron failed (18 or so years ago) nothing really to service (self-storage and small outlets...and townhouses... don't need rail freight service. That little materials facility with the shed that straddles the line, I never saw anything there in the 1990s let alone now.

The Lodi branch, that's more of a bummer. I recall, probably the late 1990s, a sign saying the siding across Gregg St. to what I think was supposed to be a printing plant was to be reactivated (the signs "Railroad crossing ahead" and "Tracks out of service" are still visible on Google streets in the current view, as are the tracks, buried under asphalt in the 2012) view). Since the building is now a Wholesale Vehicle importer, it is safe to say they don't need rail service.
I think in the mid-1990s the building on the East Side of Gregg just a little south of Atlantic Power and a a block south of the Expressway overpass was a refrigerated storage facility of some sort - IIRC seeing either reefers or insulated boxcars on the spur trackage. Google not states it's a cosmetics discount outlet of some sort, That business had the only spur(besides the 2 track "yard" at the end of the South branch that was rebuilt a while ago, and possibly never used (storage?) that I recall in action, although I faintly recall a spur which crossed that siding and headed toward Ellios (looking at Historical Aerials topos it went more East, although those topos seem off - the 1998 topo shows trackage south of Garibaldi that I know was gone by 1998, as I would occasionally stop by there during that time when heading west on 46, after getting hot dogs at the Callahans of course).
  by riffian

Bear Bags was taking plastic pellets at least til 2005. According to Google Maps that business is now a cosmetics retail store. The siding appears to be intact.
  by Sir Ray

riffian's response jogged my memory, convincing me that I misremembered a few details (and I did).
So I went to Historic aerials - riffian is correct, the building that is now a cosmetics outlet ("Precocious Cosmetics") did indeed receive covered hoppers into this century (some of the aerial photography on HA for that area is not the best). In addition, in an earlier era (1960s) the building to the south of the cosmetics outlet also received rail service; this building now houses a firm that installs commercial overhead doors.
I had originally thought the covered hoppers were parked in the two track "yard" along Gregg St. and that boxcars went to the (then) plastics facility, but no - there was another siding which curved north-east, crossing the siding to the plastics plant (a suspicious radius in the parking lot paving of Atlantic Power IMO marks its route) which curved past the S.E edge of the building that houses (housed?) Atlantic Power, and this is where the boxcars were spotted. According to HA topos, this line continued further east past Ellios (McCains).
  by riffian

Lodi Branch derailment
#55476 by riffian
Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:53 pm
The Suskie bravely made their monthly attempt to run done the one mile Lodi spur, but came undone just short of Essex Street. A rented crane outfit is out there now rerailing the car. Luckily, there is no runaround anymore on the Lodi Branch, so the crew must shove the loads down to pull and spot, therefore putting the car on the ground and not the locomotive. They were taking two loads in and removing two empties from Flexwrap, the last and only customer on what is left of this branch. One wonders how much longer the Suskie will service this increasingly rickety branch with a very dangerous crossing of Route 17.