Railroad Forums 

• Rings End Lumber, Darien, CT

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1427417  by Teutobergerwald

Found myself driving through Darien, CT today and while passing by Rings End Lumber next to the NE Corridor, I saw SP and Golden West boxcars being unloaded inside. Who provides local freight service there- P&W, CSX, Housatonic ? Thanks.
 #1427418  by DutchRailnut

CSX out of Oak Point.
 #1427452  by b&m 1566

Does the P&W serve any customers off that corridor or is that all CSX territory in that area?
 #1427456  by F-line to Dudley via Park

b&m 1566 wrote:Does the P&W serve any customers off that corridor or is that all CSX territory in that area?
P&W has NEC local rights all points east of Cedar Hill in New Haven to the MA state line. No customers between the Tilcon quarry @ Groton-New London Airport and the lumber yard adjacent to Kingston Station, so all of CT is handled via the Worcester-Groton main and all of RI is handled out of Valley Falls/Pawtucket with no run-thru. CSX has local rights Bronx to Cedar Hill, and in MA (locals only from Readville-Canton and Mansfield a half-mile north of the junction to East Junction, Attleboro...no customers or thru traffic Canton-Mansfield or East Jct.-South Attleboro).

P&W has overhead rights in CT on the New Haven Line to reach its Waterbury Branch and Danbury Branch customers, and to run the overnight stone trains to Fresh Pond...but no local rights in CSX territory.

P&W local rights in RI are mainly for Port of Providence Industrial Track and the big autorack job to Davisville. Just 3 small on-line customers Providence-Davisville, and the lumber yard in Kingston. In CT it's mainly the big Tilcon quarries in Groton and Old Saybrook, plus the crushed stone interchange with Branford Steam RR. The only other regular customers between Groton and Old Saybrook are another big-ish Ring's End lumber location in Old Lyme. Couple dormant sidings, and the Millstone nuke plant that gets exceedingly rare one-off deliveries. CSX has a number of customers between New Haven and Devon, but I think all that's left west of there is Ring's End, one customer on (what's left of) the Stratford Industrial Track, and one just on the other side of the NY state line. Most of their carloads are yard-to-yard jobs to Cedar Hill.
 #1427474  by Ridgefielder

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:CSX has a number of customers between New Haven and Devon, but I think all that's left west of there is Ring's End, one customer on (what's left of) the Stratford Industrial Track, and one just on the other side of the NY state line. Most of their carloads are yard-to-yard jobs to Cedar Hill.
The customer in NY is Marval Industries in Mamaroneck, NY. They receive covered hoppers of plastic pellets on a fairly regular basis. Also believe that Northeast Building Supply in East Bridgeport gets inbound loads of lumber and bricks-- not sure how often but I've seen cars spotted on the siding there (across from the E. Bridgeport yard) within the last 18 months.