Railroad Forums 

• Rigby Yard — Activity, Sightings, and General Discussion

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1303982  by Bulkheadflat

The day after I posted that comment about the tank line, they were moved, hah, and all of a sudden there were 2 long lines of tanks in the storage section ! In other news, there we several cars of intermodal at the north end of the yard Monday, green containers, not Elmskips, interesting. Also, for the first time in a long time, I spotted a cut of CR and NS coal cars being moved around the yard recently as well, not sure where those are destined, unless Rumford is bringing in coal from elsewhere now.
 #1303989  by drcrf93

Bulkheadflat wrote:The day after I posted that comment about the tank line, they were moved, hah, and all of a sudden there were 2 long lines of tanks in the storage section ! In other news, there we several cars of intermodal at the north end of the yard Monday, green containers, not Elmskips, interesting. Also, for the first time in a long time, I spotted a cut of CR and NS coal cars being moved around the yard recently as well, not sure where those are destined, unless Rumford is bringing in coal from elsewhere now.
Well there were seven coal cars on PO-1 to Brunswick today (11/20), four CR and three NS, and last Friday's DO-1 to Brunswick had three CR hoppers. Not sure where they are going but I am pretty certain Maine Eastern took the cars from last week. Let's hope so, it would be great to see even more business on their line!

As far as the intermodal - I read somewhere that PORU set that off for SLR at Danville on Tuesday. I wonder if the stopping of intermodal coming to Lewiston Jct. by CN will mean them receiving it from CSX or NS?
 #1304095  by 690

hh660 wrote:I noticed NS coal cars on a PORU the other day. I'm wondering if the cars gti was using were at the end of their service lives. They were quite old when they started the coal service to Rumford years ago.
S
Several of those are stored in Oakland right now. Alternately, the coal is coming off the NS, and it's easier to just use a few of their cars.
 #1304117  by hh660

They had been loading coal for Rumford at the former Merrill's terminal in Portland (now owned by the state and operated by Sprague). Actually, I think they recently had a ship unload coal there.
Are you thinking that the coal is being shipped from out of state by rail to be delivered to Rumford? Or perhaps the type of coal and its' destination is different?
S
 #1304128  by newpylong

690 wrote:
hh660 wrote:I noticed NS coal cars on a PORU the other day. I'm wondering if the cars gti was using were at the end of their service lives. They were quite old when they started the coal service to Rumford years ago.
S
Several of those are stored in Oakland right now. Alternately, the coal is coming off the NS, and it's easier to just use a few of their cars.
Not coming off the NS. All loaded in Maine.
 #1304147  by Bulkheadflat

Interesting stuff. I remember way back, probably the very early 90's, there were CR and CSXT' coal cars going up to Bangor, and on to the BAR I believe. Also in the late 80's there were CR coal cars going to a customer in Pittsfield, as well as down the BML branch to Belfast at times.
 #1304333  by KSmitty

Bulkheadflat wrote:Interesting stuff. I remember way back, probably the very early 90's, there were CR and CSXT' coal cars going up to Bangor, and on to the BAR I believe. Also in the late 80's there were CR coal cars going to a customer in Pittsfield, as well as down the BML branch to Belfast at times.
Did Loring take coal? Don't think it was a BAR served paper mill, those were all oil and are now NG, LP, or flattened.
 #1304811  by gokeefe

I don't know if the transaction has closed yet but any change to delivery patterns to/from Rumford could be a result of directions from new management. Maine Eastern is likely transporting coal on behalf of Dragon Cement and if I am not mistaken Watchman318 mentioned it was "pet coke" in another thread.
 #1317235  by Bulkheadflat

There are at least 3 boxcars set at the siding behind Clynk warehouse on the east side of Rigby, this is the warehouse next to the one that receives the reefers now. I can't remember the last time I've seen cars set back there, maybe in the very early 00's. looks like a Csxt, NS, and a KCS, wonder what's up with those ? I always thought that with the heavy weight of all that crushed plastic, cans, etc, rail would be an ideal mode for them to ship out the bales. Then again maybe they're providing storage service for other companies now, or something along those lines, as it is quite a large facility.
 #1319354  by MEC407

From The Forecaster:
The Forecaster wrote:SOUTH PORTLAND — Rigby Yard could become the site of a liquid petroleum gas storage facility to serve Maine and much of southern New England.

NGL Supply Terminal Co., a subsidiary of Tulsa, Oklahoma-based NGL Energy Partners LP, is proposing the facility, which would be constructed on top of what was once the railway turntable in the area between Main Street and Rumery Street. The rail yard is in a Non-Residential Industrial District.

The project proposal includes installation of six, 60,000-gallon above-ground storage tanks, each 13 feet in diameter; an eight-spot rail car off-loading area on four parallel rails; an 1,800-square-foot operations building, and a paved loop that would allow access for vehicles transporting petroleum by truck, all contained and visually obstructed by an 8-foot-tall fence.

NGL Supply Terminal Co. now distributes gas liquids from a four-acre terminal on Commercial Street in Portland, west of the Casco Bay Bridge. Rigby Yard, at 20 Rigby Road, would more than double the size of the company's operations, to 10 acres of space, leased from Pan Am Railways, with room for 24 rail cars.

The proposed configuration would allow for a "much more controlled" transfer of liquid petroleum, Community Planner Steve Puleo told the Planning Board, and is viewed by the South Portland Fire Department as safer than the existing arrangement in Portland.
Read the rest of the article at: http://www.theforecaster.net/news/print ... nal/226293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;