Railroad Forums 

• Ridgefield Park NJ NYSW station platform demolition.....

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#70122  by rcbsd45

Today, November 21, found a crew working to demolish the overhang on
the NYSW side of the Ridgefield Park, NJ Station. The portion on the
NYC(Now CSX side)is still intact, and the station is used by a few
businesses, and is in excellent shape. there used to be an under
track tunnel between the station and the NYSW platform(long since
filled in), and while this is not the original station in Ridgefield
Park, it is still in excellent shape, including the platform and
overhangs. it is the overhang and platform on the NYSW side that is
being torn down this afternoon.....

#70149  by n01jd1

The NYSW Ridgefield Park trainshed is being demolished so that the access road can be widened to allow Crystal Clear employees and emergency vehicles to access the Crystal Clear Property when trains block the Bergen Turnpike and Mt. Vernon St crossings. While the West Shore side has remained in good condition throughout the years, the NYSW side had been neglected for 38+ years and was showing its age. The middle and Susquehanna platforms had dissapeared long ago, possibly when the middle trainshed was demolished and the tunnel entrances were filled in. The New York Central ceased passenger service in 1959 and the last regularly schedualed NYSW passenger train stopped at the station in 1966. The trainshed was partially collapsed by late morning and by dusk only masonry and shattered pieces of the wooden roof remained.

#70165  by trainfreak

Well its going to look different without the trainshed there since it has been there so long. But if its for the good of everyone it is worth it. I did notice from the overhang over the curve in the Elks parking lot that the tracks by the NYSW engine terminal had been realigned. Next time i am down there i will grab a shot of it and post it online.