Railroad Forums 

• Ride the NYS&W...Upcoming speeder excursions

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#423557  by cjvrr

I am a member and one of the trip organizers of the Volunteer Railroaders Association. We set up speeder trips on the NYS&W in NJ and NY. Last year we held runs on the Utica, Syracuse and Southern Divisions of the NYS&W.

In the past we have solicited the railfan community to join us and help flag crossings in exchange for a ride on the cars. If you are able to follow along in your vehicle and flag crossing one day, you ride for free on the motorcars the other day. The day you flag crossings, we pay for your lunch. It has always worked out well. Several fans on this list have helped on these trips. This year we are making that offer again!

On September 15th and 16th we are running the Syracuse Branch. Both days will begin in Cortland, NY from the Suit Cote facility. We are running Saturday from Cortland north to Syracuse and return and Sunday we will run from Cortland to Chenango Bridge and return.

October 20th and 21st we will be running the entire Southern Division of the NYS&W. Saturday we run roundtrip from Riverdale, NJ to Pelton Road (Warwick, NY) and Sunday we will be running roundtrip from Riverdale east to Ridgefield Park and hopefully North Bergen.

These two trips have been fully approved by the NYS&W and insured through NARCOA's national insurance policy. If you chose to help us you must sign a release form and you must be over 18 years old (railroad's requirement).

To sign up with your offer to help, you can email the VRA at [email protected]

Or email me directly at [email protected]

More information on the trips can be found here:
http://www.vratrips.org/

Everyone is welcome to join us at our next membership meeting on August 16th. This will be held at the VRA's President's home in Kinnelon, NJ instead of the Hawthorne Station. Our President has, I think 8-10 speeders at last count as well as an impressive fully operation display of signals, semaphores and RR crossing equipment.

Chris Vitz
VRA member and trip coordinator
Last edited by cjvrr on Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

#423802  by Steve F45

i might look into the southern division trip. Would be definitely cool to see the route.

#423991  by amoreho1

sounds cool
Last edited by amoreho1 on Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#424127  by alzubal

Chris
I think we will be able to help out again.We still don't know of flaging or rideing which is more fun. Havn't riggen or flaged this line yet but it should be a good time.
Al

#444483  by cjvrr

We are a go for this weekend to run from Cortland to Syracuse on Saturday and Cortland to the Forks and possibly down to "PORT" on Sunday. The group will also meet and go in the hole for a train on Sunday.

21 cars + signed up

Come on out and see them run!

#446125  by thebigham

How did the ride go?

Chris

#446637  by cjvrr

Chris,

I was unable to go on the ride but reports from our coordinator said it went pretty well. A game in Syracuse prevented the group from going to the end of track. A passenger shuttle was running which blocked the line. But all in all I have heard positive comments.

#456565  by cjvrr

October 20 and 21st are just a few days away....

As of Monday we had 20 cars signed up.

Chris

#459369  by alewifebp

Had a lot of fun over these two days volunteering on one day and riding the other. Great group of people that are very dedicated to the craft.

It's also a great way to legally be on railroad property and freely take pictures.

#459550  by thebigham

Great pics!!

Thanks!

#459568  by cjvrr

Great photos.

Glad you both had FUN!

I was running the UP 2219.

Broke down the first day as soon as we hit the main. Had to get towed to the Sparta Mountain stop where my rider and I got it running again. Worked well the rest of the weekend.

We had never gone that far into North Bergen before, so that was a treat for all. In the past we stopped just south of the Amtrak bridge to turn.

It is our hope (keep fingers crossed) we can do it again next year.

Chris
 #465132  by ErieAtlantic7597

Guys, I was wondering if there is any video of this trip. I'm originally from the Riverside area of Paterson. The pictures showed it as pretty bleak now. Hung around in Hawthorne for years. Grew up on Putnam St. near the Erie main. River Street station.
I was involved in a few motorcar trips in Ft. Myers, Florida years ago. And a couple in other areas also. Any info would be appreciated.
Some of my old video from 1989 and 1991 is on youtube.

Thanks ahead of time,

Bruce (ErieAtlantic7597)
 #465157  by cjvrr

ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:Guys, I was wondering if there is any video of this trip. I'm originally from the Riverside area of Paterson. The pictures showed it as pretty bleak now. Hung around in Hawthorne for years. Grew up on Putnam St. near the Erie main. River Street station.
I was involved in a few motorcar trips in Ft. Myers, Florida years ago. And a couple in other areas also. Any info would be appreciated.
Some of my old video from 1989 and 1991 is on youtube.

Thanks ahead of time,

Bruce (ErieAtlantic7597)
Bruce,

Contact this YouTube poster;

http://www.youtube.com/llokuta

Louis has a RR video business and plans to put out one of the speeder trip. He was riding on Sunday through Paterson and may have the video you want to see.

You could also contact Larry TenHoeve at Larry's Model Trains in Wyckoff;
(201) 444-0052. He owns two speeders and has been on every NYS&W SD trip with his TV quality video camera. It may not be online, but he probably can get you a copy of that area.

Chris
 #467055  by ErieAtlantic7597

Chris,

Sorry for takeing so long to respond. Thankyou for the information. I appreciate it.

Take care,

Bruce