Railroad Forums 

• Retirements and Disposition of CR Equipment

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1433657  by deathtopumpkins

They may be newer than the 200s, but the 200s were completely rebuilt and are, IMHO, some of the nicest cars in the fleet.

And he's referring to the oft-discussed Knowledge Corridor commuter rail from Springfield to Greenfield.
Last edited by CRail on Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Series of unnecessary quotes removed. Use the REPLY button when replying to a thread.
 #1433662  by RenegadeMonster

Yes. The 200s are really nice.

The 500's aren't bad though. I prefer the wider 2 person seats on either sides. Hate when seats face each other but you can flip the seats if no ones already sitting in them. I prefer them over the 600s where the seats can be like sitting on plywood.

Would the Conn River Knowledge Corridor Commuter Rail be MBTA?

Also, when ever my grandmother visits for the last 4 years or so she's been talking about some kind of high speed railroad to Boston. Sounds like she was talking about the Fitchburg line to Greenfield but I have never heard anything about this.

Also didn't hear about the Knowledge Corridor Commuter Rail. Always thought the tack of western mass train service was just the Amtrak.
 #1433684  by BostonUrbEx

I believe the Knowledge Corridor stuff is in the New England forum. MassDOT purchased Pan Am's Conn River Main Line a few years ago and invested a lot of money into it. They're definitely looking at more than just a Vermonter round-trip per day. I believe the ultimate vision right now is improved Vermonter (going all the way to Montreal, too), some sort of New Haven - Hartford - Springfield - maybe beyond (?) regional service, plus a Springfield - Holyoke - Northampton - Greenfield commuter rail service. The caveat is that we don't know which will happen, whether they all will happen, or when we will see official coordination between these separate projects. For now, mothballing the MBB's is some keen forward thinking.
 #1433687  by Backshophoss

The "Knowledge" Corridor material is spread around at bit,some is in the Amtrak Vermonter thread,some is in the Conn River Line thread
Gulford/PAR forum,some is in the NH,H&S upgrade thread in Amtrak forum. Plus the supposed Equipment for this service is buried at
Seaview Yard(this thread).
The MBB's were put away wet and tired,some may have structure issues,all might be missing parts, pulled to keep remaining MBB's up and running!
Being near Salt Water while in storage,won't help!
Greenfield to Springfield was the "planned" commuter service,with possible shared yard layover with ConnDOT at Springfield.
 #1433706  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Since the Pullmans were given a complete remanufacture in '96 they are mechanically the 'newest' of the flats and last slated for retirement in the (now very obsolete) Fleet Plan, despite having the oldest frames by 9 years over the MBB's and Bombardier BTC-1A's.

Because of the reman the 200's are the same service age as the NJT Comet IV's and MNRR Shoreliner IV's, the last 'classic' generation of Comet-class railcars produced new-from-factory (the '02-vintage Alstom Comet V's, the last order by anyone of commuter flats, being a significant design departure from the original Pullman-Bombardier lineage).
 #1441666  by dieciduej

I saw South Side Kawasaki 708 coupled on to a scrap metals gon by the old Yard 21 leads yesterday afternoon. Not sure what the comings-and-goings are for it.
Kawasaki 708
Kawasaki 708
Kawasaki 708 (1).JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 4391 times
Kawasaki 708
Kawasaki 708
Kawasaki 708 (2).JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 4391 times
JoeD