Railroad Forums 

• Retirement

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1211591  by Freddy

If it were me, and it has been, I'd do one of two things. I'd either go to my nearest Railroad Retirement Board or I'd call. They'll give you information that's geared specifically for you and your situation based on your age, earnings etc. You can ask here and probably get information and it still be wrong because no two people make the same earnings because no two people
in their lifetime on the RR make exactly the same money or put in the same hours.
 #1211960  by 10more years

I'm going to throw this into the thought process. Your wife is five years younger than you. So is mine. If you retire at 65, you go on Medicare. She goes off railroad major medical, vision and dental. She can get COBRA for three years which basically continues the railroad insurance, but only for 36 months. So, when you retire at 65, she's 60. When her COBRA runs out, she'll be 63 and will "need" insurance for 2 years until she goes on Medicare. Just another thought!