• Restore the former LV Manchester roundhouse?

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

by Lehighton_Man

Hey Guys,
Just recently, on the LVRRHS 2007 santa train runs, i was able to have a small discussion with Ken May, and Craig(dont quite know his last name) about a certain LV related structure in Manchester.
Yes, thats right, the Roundhouse.
The idea we were discussing, is the possible renovation of the turntable and Roundhouse for revenue service/museum storage. The idea we floated on was that LVRRHS could issue the place as a National Historic Landmark as one of only 3 (or two)Roundhouses from the Lehigh Valley remaining.
The general idea was this:
FGLK buys the turntable, which is located on former ONCT land, im guessing, but i believe the actual building is private property. LVRRHS registeres the building as a Historical Landmark so any plans of demolition cant be pursued.
(im hoping if we registered it as a national landmark, we could get funds from the state, or govt. like steamtown did to rebuild their facilities)
Then, work begins to help re-vitallise the place, add a new roof, re-stabilise the supports, help fix the walls, and un-dig the turntable, and drive mechs. Once everything is in running order, we lay rails into 6-7 stalls of the house, and use the rest for storage, as the FGLK would like to store either extra locomotives, or reubuild cars in 3-4 stalls, and gie 2-3 to us for museum pieces like 211, or 119, or 112, or 414, etc.

Im just curious to know if you Lehighers would be up to see something like this, and or would support it.
Thanks,
Sean
Lehigh Valley Railroad Historical Society

by Otto Vondrak

I think that's been discussed. The roundhouse tracks are buried under a 6" concrete floor. The building is in questionable shape.

-otto-