Railroad Forums 

• Restoration of a S2... Would you Guys be uo to it?!

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#517292  by GOLDEN-ARM

Scot, what's the deal with the old gal, behind the 151? Any history on that one? Nice photo. Did ya manage to shoot the cab? How about the other side? Thanks for sharing!!! :wink:

#517323  by WNYP431

Being serious, I am happy at the continued interest. I live close enough to either of these units that I can contribute on a regular basis, and let me say, it's now got me wondering about the potential. Being queer for the Lehigh doesn't help matters either.

Regarding the planning, I was just saying before you spend time developing a business plan filled with dreams and aspirations, call Pat on the phone, or talk to Burt Feasley. They aren't going to yell at you. I'm sure they get calls all the time (and make a few themselves). Find out what the status of the locomotive is, and what would be necessary to obtain ownership of one of the former LV units. That would take five minutes. As far as the rest of it...that's not their concern, it's YOURS. YOU'RE going to figure out everything else.

How would you like to spend three weeks developing a business plan to restore a unit, only to call and find out it has already been sold for scrap, or it's going to be restored and re-fitted with remote control for service in the Riverwright Energy Plant?

I would have looked silly walking into Industry with 20 copies of a 32-page business plan for the return to service of the LV211 without checking with them first, wouldn't I? Saved myself alot of heartache.

Again, a friend and I just went through this with the Buffalo to Salamanca BR&P line before it is torn up....trying to save it from the scrapper, and we wasted over a year farting around. I don't know anyone who is more committed to such a project, has devoted more time to seeing it become reality, who loves the line and it's history more than my friend....and the project has been and denied at every turn. For YEARS. I know my emptiness...I can't imagine his. Videos, public presentation, flyers, phone calls, tours, contributions, a business plan, local politicians......all for naught.

You have a good idea. Are you prepared to make that type of sacrifice, only to end up with a pile of ALCO manuals and empty envelopes with your new business logo on them? Been there - done that, brother.

If you have decided to obtain and restore a unit from "someplace", there's things you can do in your planning in generic fashion for any unit anywhere, but when you see one, just ask if it's available before you go wearing out your pencil.

To call the project to task, more discussion....maybe a meeting is in order. Can anyone on this forum assist in writing a business plan for this guy when the time comes?

#517403  by BR&P

We have a nice long weekend with decent weather. Hey Otto - did any...uh...NEW volunteers show up at the museum to work on, say, the LV 211 for instance?

#517417  by Lehighton_Man

Otto Wasnt there... Hehe.. But i was.
Just ask Chris Hauf.
I helped around. Sadly, i didnt get to hear 211 purr since it was a bit too cold and the block would've siezed if we tried to turn it over. But, Chris Showed me around, and i helped out with some things, and took my own personal Tour of the grounds. Enjoyed it very much. From Now on, whenever i can get my mom to cooperate with me, i'll donate my time to the Museum.
Cheers.
Sean

#517452  by BR&P

Well, a pat on the back to you Sean. I'm sure Chris can find lots of things that need doing, and in time you'll get to work the 211 itself. Your help will be welcomed I'm sure.

#517493  by Lehighton_Man

Also, one for you BR&P.
Chris, pointed out the WIP BR&P caboose in the restoration shop.
I'd like to help chris with that Caboose to see it roll again, all in glamour.
It looks part-way done, of course seeking windows, probably an interior, amongst other things, so, im ready to get my hands dirty with a project. :)
Cheers.
Sean

#517522  by scottychaos

More pics:

84 has spent her entire life in Buffalo..
she was built new for the South Buffalo in 1948,
then later became BSOR 84.
(she will be 60 years old in December)

(and the RS3, ex-Adirondack 28, is still sitting down the line.)

Scot

#517530  by BR&P

Chris and his crew have been doing a great job on that BR&P caboose. Can't wait to see it in its finished splendor. For the newer folks, that caboose worked in Rochester as a local caboose in Rochester in the late 60's. It was the very first piece of rolling stock to arrive at the Industry museum, actually being placed before a switch was installed to the main track.

But back to LV - any idea where that 151 spent its LV days? Buffalo area, or somewhere else on the system?

#518246  by Otto Vondrak

Lehighton_Man wrote:Otto Wasnt there... Hehe.. But i was.
Just ask Chris Hauf.
Glad you finally made it out to the museum, and glad you enjoyed yourself. Don't worry, 211 will be fired up before long. Any time you want to come out and donate some time, just let us know.

-otto-

#518356  by Lehighton_Man

Jeremey told me whenever i feel like helping out, Just come on up, we can use whatever help we can get.
Hopefully, we can get something workin here. I see they were working on EK9 because of brake problems.
Other than that, i enjoyed my visit.
As for 151, im gettin weary now that i see the condition its in. It'd be much more than i originally mentioned to save something like that.
For Now, i'll leave it be.
I'll be more concentraited onto learning how to work on a real unit, like the ones in Industry, when they need fixing. Once i have atleast some expirence, i'll dive back into this.
Scotty, please lock this thread per my request.
Thanks.
Sean

#518362  by Nova55

The last part of your post really says alot about you. Glad to see you understand now.