Railroad Forums 

• REST IN PEACE, Raymond P. Kenny

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1540464  by jhdeasy

I met him during the 1967-1968 school year, when I was a freshman and he was a senior at Archbishop Molloy HS in Queens NY. He rode the LIRR to school while I rode the subway to school. We both had some interest in railroads at that time. He made the railroad industry a career, while I made the Navy a career, yet maintained a link to the railroad industry as a private car owner 1987 thru the present time.
 #1540517  by MACTRAXX

Datenail wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:35 am He was 68. His birthday was coming up in august.
August 16, 1951

Steve and Everyone:
There was a topic about RPK posted at the New Jersey Transit forum:
https://www.railroad.net/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=171348

There were news reports from Fox 29 Philadelphia, WPIX 11 New York
and NJ.com that reported about RPK's passing as a NJT Rail Sr. VP...
MACTRAXX
 #1542305  by Blockhead98

The first time I met Mr. Kenny was the first time I posted Queens tower (2000?). I show up for first trick and the place is crawling with 204 and vests. Cable fire took out signal bridge 2. I was told to go to bridge 2 and assist Ray Kenny.
“Who’s Ray Kenny?” I innocently asked.
Not a good way to start off my career.
I ALWAYS addressed him as “Mr President” when passing through Jamaica. He was always pleasant to me and knew my name. He had that hard earned reputation of someone you couldn’t bs. He knew his stuff. At least that’s what was going around the towers. Rest In Peace, Mr. President.
 #1542585  by freightguy

Not to take away from the deceased, but Newsday states that on 4/26/20 Charles Powers former LIRR chief transportation officer succumb to Corona complications also. I’m assuming that him and Ray’s careers crossed paths and one probably worked for the other at one point during the 1980’s?