Railroad Forums 

• Repowering a locomotive with a competitor's prime mover

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#19414  by MEC407

I've often heard of ALCO locomotives having their original prime mover replaced with an EMD.

I was wondering if there have ever been any instances of a GE locomotive that had its PM replaced with an EMD, or an EMD loco that had its PM replaced with a GE, etc.
 #27970  by fglk

:(
Last edited by fglk on Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#29146  by Alcoman

Alco repowered many Baldwins and FM's with 251 engines.

Some railroads such as L&N repowered GE's with Alco 251's.
 #70005  by Statkowski

M-K (Boise, Idaho) repowered a bunch of U-25Bs with EMD prime movers for Weyerhauser and the OC&E in Oregon.

#70445  by GN 599

5 of em to be exact. Last I heard Econorail had them. I have the means to buy one but they wont return e mails. Anybody know if they are even in business???
 #77439  by jesse corbett

SCL did a bunch of Baldwin switchers with EMD's and dont forget those really cool RS3's with EMD engines that Penn Central and Conrail did.

#81641  by SRS125

Penn Central and Conrail did a large number of RS-3M's they were refered to as DeWitt 's and Philiys. DeWitts could be spotted with a camel style hump behind the cab while the philadelphia units did not have this look. DeWitt Shop also reproduced as RSD-15 with a Matching RS-11 Slug set rebuilt as well both units had the same cab number and worked in DeWitt Yard in Hump Service till both units worked untill the MT-6 and MT-4 Slug progam started.