Railroad Forums 

• Report SEPTA Delays Here:

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#578935  by khecht

At about 9:45am today, there was no movement into or out of the CCCT between 30th and Suburban due to "Amtrak power problems". I got off train 4730 at 30th and walked to the office. Not sure how long things were down as I didn't have time to check, but Train View seems to indicate most everything's back now.
 #580770  by BuddSilverliner269

khecht wrote:At about 9:45am today, there was no movement into or out of the CCCT between 30th and Suburban due to "Amtrak power problems". I got off train 4730 at 30th and walked to the office. Not sure how long things were down as I didn't have time to check, but Train View seems to indicate most everything's back now.
Train: Consist:
Crew data:
Recorded by:
Remarks: 9:30am - Lost catenary power all 4 tracks and Powelton Yard, Sub 1A.
9:50am - Power restored with the exception of Powelton Yard and 4 Track 30th St to Zoo.
9:55am - Power remains de-energized no 2 trk Zoo to West, Frm Alboucq clearing off no 1 track
scheduled track work Zoo to West.
10:08am - Power restored to no 2 trk Zoo to West
10:18am - Frm Alboucq clear of no 1 trk Zoo to West, R5's will operate out no 1 trk to Zoo
account of Zoo unable to handle out 3 with switches out of service and 4 track remaining deenergized.
10:47am - R5 service will operate hourly account of unable to operate out 3 track to Zoo and 4
track having wire damage.
12:15pm - Normal service restored to R5 account C&S restored switch to run around wire
problem.
Notifications: Senior RR, RR Group, IMOS, RROC Announcers.
Cause: Wires reported Down on run down track..K Ladder..Amtrak to make repairs
 #585983  by scotty269

ALL LINES: Due to a police investigation at Market East Station, ALL lines are being delayed up-to 60 minutes or more. Inbound passengers from Fern Rock may transfer over to the Orange Line into CC.

#586008  by BuddSilverliner269

There was a suspiscious package found under a bench so the police stopped all train service thru the tunnel. A RRD employee actually sent me a text message that came from the RROC thats sent out to all bosses etc. Apparently the delays were not pretty in town and I turned on my scanner and heard how bad it was.
 #586058  by rider

Yeah, I was on the R2 to Warminster, supposed to leave 30th St at 9 and ended up being closer to 9:25 or so. They announced that there were delays due to police activity at around 9:20, but they didn't say anything before that while I was there (from about 8:55 or so).

The signs were listing some trains with up to 60 or so minute delays, though the R2 said it was on time right up until a few minutes after 9, at which point it basically started counting up minute by minute until it finally arrived. Not sure which train it actually was that came, but it ended up coming in from the east on track 6 rather than from the west on track 5 as it usually does.
 #586110  by jfrey40535

It was real bad out there. Things got shut down around 7, and there weren't a whole lot of transit cops there when I was there, but maybe more came by later. All trains were cleared on signal indication around 8:15PM but it was a huge mess. On the North(RDG) side, trains were first held at Temple, and then backed up to Wayne, and finally Fern Rock. Stack 'em, pack 'em and rack 'em....

Hats of to RROC though for having all trains hold at a station where passengers could at least board/egress at will, and not in the darkness somewhere.

Last night's problem highlights the weakness of having a through system and tunnel. I only heard one train go through without a re-crew at Suburban. With our through system, and the uncertainty of the delay, it wasn't possible to spin trains and keep the branch lines open, so people at the outlying points got stung the most.
 #587718  by Matthew Mitchell

6325 had some kind of failure south of Melrose this morning

517 picked up passengers from 6325 in a train-train transfer. 6325 was on 1 track and we were on 2 track. Apparently some but not all passengers were transferred. I have no idea how they handled that, saying some could go and some couldn't

NB West Trenton was holding at Fern Rock, and SB West Trenton 329 passed us at Wayne Junction. 517 arrived Market East 30 minutes late, on 3 track instead of 4. The platform displays were showing R3 Elwyn (329) and not R5 Thorndale (517), so I don't know whether this was just a display screw-up or whether they switched endpoints of the two trains.

The 6325 passengers on our train ended up reaching Center City 70 minutes late.
 #587770  by Launcher

I was on the 4815 and we appeared to stop on the outbound track to pick up passengers from a stalled train on the southbound track. I do not know which train was affected but it looked like perhaps a pushpull set because it was not the usual silverliner. I do not have 6325 on my combined timetable dated Sept 08. What is it that you are referring to, maybe 6323?

I also believe we were north of Melrose when this happened. The conductors kept referring to a wire problem at around Elkins. We rejoined the southbound track at Fern Rock at which platform two northbound trains were waiting for us to clear. single track situation during peak hour is always slow.

4815 was 37 minutes late to center city. The 517 was quoted approx 20 minutes late behind us.

Matthew Mitchell wrote:6325 had some kind of failure south of Melrose this morning

517 picked up passengers from 6325 in a train-train transfer. 6325 was on 1 track and we were on 2 track. Apparently some but not all passengers were transferred. I have no idea how they handled that, saying some could go and some couldn't

NB West Trenton was holding at Fern Rock, and SB West Trenton 329 passed us at Wayne Junction. 517 arrived Market East 30 minutes late, on 3 track instead of 4. The platform displays were showing R3 Elwyn (329) and not R5 Thorndale (517), so I don't know whether this was just a display screw-up or whether they switched endpoints of the two trains.

#587796  by BuddSilverliner269

Matthew Mitchell wrote:6325 had some kind of failure south of Melrose this morning

Hi Matt, train 6325 ripped wires down near Melrose Park. I think the probelm is still being worked on right now but I heard they were rapping up the work.I give my applaud to the ET dept on the wire train. They usually do an excellent job getting the wire up in time for rush hour. Of course there may be a speed restriction but at least the trains get rolling. Probably more work tonight to correct the problem if its not already corrected. :-D
 #587865  by scotty269

Was at Fern Rock at 4pm. All was clear, with no obvious speed restrictions + double track restored.
 #587934  by BuddSilverliner269

Ok I stand corrected on what happened today. I was under the impression, that 6325 ripped wires down, which wasnt the case. The engines pantagraph's got bent or something butthere was no damage to the wire or was caused by a wire problem. This was verified by the wire train checking out the railroad. The wire train was back at WECS by 12:30pm.
 #593402  by scotty269

AM Rush Problems: It appears as if 0219 is having a problem on the branchline.

R2 Warminster Line: Expect significant delays due to equipment problems at Hatboro. Please listen for announecments.

update:
R2 Warminster Line: Train 0219 was cancelled at Warminster and Hatboro, passengers to train 4119.
 #593422  by Matthew Mitchell

6215 had an equipment failure on the Warminster branch. Apparently it discharged its passengers at Glenside, and 6595 picked them up. According to Trainview, an MU set turned back at Ardsley to protect 0219 (scheduled 8:11 express from Glenside. It was running late, as was 515, the inbound R5 that comes next through Glenside. Don't know what happened to 4815, the 8:19 Glenside local, but all was normal at Glenside by 8:45 except 6215's set being on the siding. The following inbound Warminster train, 4119, is 11 minutes late.
 #593431  by BuddSilverliner269

Matthew Mitchell wrote:6215 had an equipment failure on the Warminster branch. Apparently it discharged its passengers at Glenside, and 6595 picked them up. According to Trainview, an MU set turned back at Ardsley to protect 0219 (scheduled 8:11 express from Glenside. It was running late, as was 515, the inbound R5 that comes next through Glenside. Don't know what happened to 4815, the 8:19 Glenside local, but all was normal at Glenside by 8:45 except 6215's set being on the siding. The following inbound Warminster train, 4119, is 11 minutes late.
John Almedia posted that the locomotive was losing air starting at Hatboro station. I will try to get the scoop alil later when Im downtown. Will try to stop by Suburban Station