Railroad Forums 

• Repairs to tunnels won't begin until end of decade

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1357049  by BigDell

I still find it mind-boggling that there are only two tracks connecting NYC to the rest of the world (westbound, specifically). I guess this issue was punted so many times over the decades - or no one foresaw the potential traffic issue. But still, even in the PRR days - only two tracks. The cost of new construction is ALSO mind-boggling, especially when adding the corruption-overhead that goes with any government project. Not a great scenario either way, but at some point it's got to get done. Yes, I did see the recent push for the new tunnels in the media, but it's still "vaporware" as we say in IT. I love the Rahway to SI idea from a railfan POV, it's a ride I'd certainly enjoy (and actually use). My comments are mostly rhetorical, I have seen what the shutdown of service does to the metropolitan area and how "vulnerable" that bottleneck has become with age, use and the elements…. it simply amazes me that the whole system is connected by only two tracks.
 #1357084  by Ken S.

BigDell wrote:I still find it mind-boggling that there are only two tracks connecting NYC to the rest of the world (westbound, specifically). I guess this issue was punted so many times over the decades - or no one foresaw the potential traffic issue. But still, even in the PRR days - only two tracks. The cost of new construction is ALSO mind-boggling, especially when adding the corruption-overhead that goes with any government project. Not a great scenario either way, but at some point it's got to get done. Yes, I did see the recent push for the new tunnels in the media, but it's still "vaporware" as we say in IT. I love the Rahway to SI idea from a railfan POV, it's a ride I'd certainly enjoy (and actually use). My comments are mostly rhetorical, I have seen what the shutdown of service does to the metropolitan area and how "vulnerable" that bottleneck has become with age, use and the elements…. it simply amazes me that the whole system is connected by only two tracks.
I doubt the planners hired by the PRR when the tunnels were first designed foresaw the addition of a rather large number of commuter trains off of the DL&W among other factors. The closing of Exchange Place comes to mind.
 #1357110  by philipmartin

Steampowered wrote:I just think sometimes like NYC should have redundancy built in . Like Rahway to SI connection. SI to south ferry.
I think I saw somewhere today that there should be a tunnel between Long Island and Connecticut. http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/11/12/ ... nnecticut/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by philipmartin on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1357112  by philipmartin

Ken S. wrote: I doubt the planners hired by the PRR when the tunnels were first designed foresaw the addition of a rather large number of commuter trains off of the DL&W among other factors. The closing of Exchange Place comes to mind.
The B&O used Penn Station in New York from 1918 to 1926, which was probably not forseen by the Pennsy in the early years of the centuray.