Railroad Forums 

• Remote Control Taking Over

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#126689  by UPRR engineer

How long till Canac takes over the shortlines and is the number one contract switcher? With all money the railroads have given them, wonder if there trying to sell the stuff to the shortlines yet.

#126701  by LCJ

Short lines are doing RC big time.

Is CANAC the contract switcher you were with?

#126711  by UPRR engineer

Well they got the contract about a year and a half or so at the mine i use to switch. I use to work for Railserve, they got the boot and Canac took over. Theres two other mines that use contract switchers, I didnt know how aggressive Canac has become since the railroads went remote.

#126731  by LCJ

RailAmerica has a healthy RC program going on most of their short line properties, I think.

#126742  by LCJ

Does this look familiar?

The Railroad Overhead Pedestrian Crossing was opened for public use in 1938. Before that Green River was a town divided by the Union Pacific Railroad main line, and crossing the tracks meant traversing 21 sets of tracks. The overpass eliminated the need to wait for trains passing or being switched.

#126853  by UPRR engineer

Yep theres the walkway. Heres a better pic from the same bridge.

GREEN RIVER, WYOMING - 1868
A temporary bridge crosses the river, while stone masons
at left build the permanent bridge. Citadel Rock stands
majestically on the horizon

That pic is the best. The River Bridge
 #132423  by freightguy

I work for a shortline railroad on LI. The current regime is opposed to RC operation. Most our trains still have three man crews when the manpower is available.
 #137366  by Sir Ray

freightguy wrote:I work for a shortline railroad on LI. The current regime is opposed to RC operation. Most our trains still have three man crews when the manpower is available.
Hmmm, seeing as how there are only 2 shortline railroads on Long Island, I wonder which one you work for... :-D
I wonder if NY&A will ever be able to go remote (at least in the next few decades) because of the overwhelming LIRR passenger traffic. Actually, aren't all the switches on the main lines already remote controlled (a big part of that 'new industry switch' fee). Perhaps on the Bushwick branch (although those stories the guys tell in the NY&A forum remote wouldn't work too well there either).
Cross Harbor I would expect to already be remoted (perhaps not the carfloat operation - although come to think of it I don't know why that wouldn't work). Certainly in the Greenville yards - anyone know if that's been converted to RC yet?