Railroad Forums 

• Remote Control Platform

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#209894  by ACLfan

Yesterday (Sunday, January 29, '06), I happened to see a FEC remote control platform being used to control the unloading of a FEC unit rock train at the Rinker facility on the north side of Cocoa, FL.

I wasn't aware that the FEC owned any remote control platform cars. Guess they do!

At first glance, it looked like a very short piggyback dwell car. Then, I recognized the electrical set-up. It was coupled between the first rock car and the rear unit of 3 former UP SD40-2 units that were acquired by FEC, and were being used as front-end power on the unit train. The remote control platform car was in yellow paint, so it fit in well with the 3 SD units.

It was a really cool-looking car. Nothing like the ugly duckling romote control platforms used by CSX! It actually had some exterior "styling" to give it some "character".

It was very late in the day, so photos did not turn out as hoped for. Bummer!

ACLfan
 #263079  by ichogger

You wouldn't think there very cool if those dangerous job stealing pieces of junk were on your railroad!!!!!

#263713  by GOLDEN-ARM

Amen, brother :wink:

#283471  by ACLfan2

Well Gee Whiz, boys!

It's there! Duh!! Stop acting like a couple of day-dreaming whiners!!!!

Come out of your little corner of dream-world, and get used to reality!!

Yeah, it replaces people, but it has happened! It's there, its doing its thing, and I can't do anything about that fact! And, even more importantly, apparently neither can either of you two!

If you are really serious about the issue, stop whining at me and get off of your fat butts and do somethng meaningful about it! Until that time, keep your whining to yourselves!!

And, Mr. Golden Arm. You call yourself a moderator? Learn about the responsiblities of promoting the sharing of opinions, even though you may not personally ageee with them! Until you can master that simple responsibility, you should not even dream of being a moderator!

Geez!

ACLfan2

#283758  by Noel Weaver

ACLfan2 wrote:Well Gee Whiz, boys!

It's there! Duh!! Stop acting like a couple of day-dreaming whiners!!!!

Come out of your little corner of dream-world, and get used to reality!!

Yeah, it replaces people, but it has happened! It's there, its doing its thing, and I can't do anything about that fact! And, even more importantly, apparently neither can either of you two!

If you are really serious about the issue, stop whining at me and get off of your fat butts and do somethng meaningful about it! Until that time, keep your whining to yourselves!!

And, Mr. Golden Arm. You call yourself a moderator? Learn about the responsiblities of promoting the sharing of opinions, even though you may not personally ageee with them! Until you can master that simple responsibility, you should not even dream of being a moderator!

Geez!

ACLfan2
You know, my friend, there are a lot of railroaders and retired railroaders
on these forums and I think we know a little bit about our jobs and about
railroads. Probably a lot more than most railfans do.
Remote control units are NOT SAFE and should not be used in most places.
A good number of accidents and problems have occurred with these
devices including some fatal accidents.
I will not get into the politics of it because these is some politics involved
and a lot more factors than you are likely aware of.
Remarks like you put on here are going to fly in our face and we don't
like them. Your remarks to "Golden Arm" are totally unjustified and I
think you should delete them.
You might slam me on this one too but I have been there and done that,
41 years worth. I just love it when people with no railroad experience
happen to know all about our jobs.
Noel Weaver

#283808  by ACLfan2

Well, a little bit of common courtesy is much desired, but is in woefully short supply on this particular forum.

I you take the time to actually read my post, it wil become readily understandable to you that I was ONLY commenting on a visual comparison of the FEC remote control platform to CSX's really ugly remote control platforms. NOTHING ELSE !!!

Now do I make myself clear in simple enough words? Gosh, I hope you will be able to understand now (finally) that I did not mean, and did NOT say that I liked remote contol platforms, wanted them to replace crew jobs, or thought that they were the best things since sliced bread!!

Totally to the contrary, I am TOTALLY sympathetic and fully supportive of your position regarding the usage of RCP's, and the safety risks associated with them, and I really resent your totallly unfounded assertiion that, by some really bizarre misunderstanding of the English language, you thought that I had said something that I did not intend to say, and did NOT say!

Rest for a few minutes, take some deep breaths of air, get your heads on straight, and then read my post again. If you reallly focus and use your brains, you will actually see that I did not say that I liked RCP's, thought they should be used, or anything else in support of them. I recognizd the dangers of RCP's when I saw the first one on CSX! I also know that they were dreamed up by some totally stupid management-types and bean counters as a "cheaper" way of getting switching done! What a cruel joke!! My statement was ONLY that the FEC RCP looked a whole lot better than the CSX's RCP's! Is that simple enough to understand!?! Gosh, I hope so!

I really hate it when people do not take the time to actually read what I said, but instead, go into a wacked-out, mouth-foaming frenzy about somethng that I DIDN'T say!

I recognize that this issue is a really emotional issue for you, but by the standards of courtesy, you should make sure that you had correctly understood what I had said before you went off half-cocked (or less) in your responses.

Me apologize?? What for?? If anyone apologizes, it should be YOU for completely misunderstanding what I said, and then going nuts based on a total misunderstanding!!!

However, I offer my forgiveness to each of you for your erroneous understandings and confusion over my post. As I have stated above, I did not say, nor meant to say, that I was in any way supportive of the use of RCP's on any railroad! I know that it is an emotional issue with you, and perhaps for that reason, the emotion of the moment totally obscured and confused your comprehension, common sense, good judgement, and personal courtesy.

I have seen GOLDEN ARM's posts over the years, and had come to regard him in high esteem. That's why I was so surprised and hurt by what I considered to be his unprovoked and erroneous support of ichogger's post. Personal emotion does not give anyone the right to act in such a manner as reflected in your responses to my post.

If any of you had known me personally, you would have also known that I would never have posted anything that was anti-personnel oriented or supportive of management positions at the expense of crew rights, benefits or personal safety. It's that simple!!!

Now, I sincerely hope that you know my position on this matter, and I want you to know and undersand that you are forgiven for your totally erroneous thoughts and responses.

END OF TOPIC.

Take care and best wishes!

ACLfan2

#285131  by fire5506

That is the only RCP the FEC owns. The unit train crew puts it on the train behind the motors and the Rinker crew oprates the train over their pits. after it is unloaded and the FEC crew gets back on their put it back in the hole and go back to the train to go back south.
That unit took a crew off an FEC train for unloading.
The big box on the car is filled with concrete because it is put between the motors and the rest of the train, don't want an empty flat pulled of the rail as it goes around the curve of the ballon track.

#285221  by GOLDEN-ARM

I am certainly a "fair moderator", ACL fan. If I was such an evil entity, against fair speech, the topic, and your posts would have been removed long ago. As far as attempting to opine on MY intolerance for free speech, who the hell are you, JUDGING MY WORDS???? You said, and I quote:

"And, Mr. Golden Arm. You call yourself a moderator? Learn about the responsiblities of promoting the sharing of opinions, even though you may not personally ageee with them! Until you can master that simple responsibility, you should not even dream of being a moderator! "

Sounds like you are the one with the free speech problems. You don't agree with what I said, so you whine, and make inflamatory comments, about my speech. (sic) Promote and share MY opinion, if you want anyone to promote, or share yours.

"Sorry, but my butt is not fat, and I quote you again:

If you are really serious about the issue, stop whining at me and get off of your fat butts and do somethng meaningful about it! Until that time, keep your whining to yourselves!! "

I don't whine, was in the fight against them in the first place, refuse to accept training with them, and have helped remove them from 2 properties already. You might want to check your facts, before attempting to pass judgement on me.

As far as being a dreamer, and I quote you, again:

"It's there! Duh!! Stop acting like a couple of day-dreaming whiners!!!!"

Duh? I guess that's a sound you make a lot :P What in the world makes you so important, that our OPINIONS are "daydreams", and our comments about this topic are "whining"? Sounds like you are the one whining, and you must be daydreaming yourself, if you think that I cannot do anything about them. (see above retort)

Lastly, thanks for "forgiving" me. Nothing better than knowing I have some clueless FOAMERS blessing, during my day. You post was a flame against me, and as moderator, I could have deleted it, but again, it's on topic, contains no profanities, and it's free-speech, so I let it go. It's funny, when someone points a finger at a speck in someone elses eye, while having a plank in their own. You really DON'T have a clue, do you......... :P

These "things" have stolen many jobs, from many railroaders, and have caused injuries, and deaths, that due to lack of regulations, go unreported as remote operation injuries/fatalaties. You don't have a clue......... :(

#286462  by ACLfan2

Well, this has certainly been an interesting set of postings.

As I have stated above, I did not intend to say anything in support of the use of RCP's. And, I certainly realize that they are unsafe, and have been used in an unwise and unsafe way to save some $$$. Those points were contained in my post above.

But, it seems like those points were ignored.

And, unfortunately, GOLDEN ARM, based on your name-calling (foamer, clueless), you have abused your position as Moderator. But, you know what was the most unfortunate thing that you did? It was to quote Biblical scripture, and not act at all like a Christian in your attitude or words toward me. You made yourself look like a real hypocrite! Are you really that bad, or did your emotions just get the best of you for the moment?

Anyway, like I said, I had a lot of respect for you, but your hurtful words have flushed that respect down the toilet.

And, I am sorry for that, because I honestly thought that you were a really good guy! Oh well.

ACLfan2

#286593  by ACLfan2

To everyone who reads this thread of posts, I believe that this series of posts have gone on long enough.

First, I apologize for my reactive words in response to the comments that were made by ichogger and GOLDEN ARM in response to my initial post about a comparison of the FEC's remote control platform to the platforms of CSX. My hurt feelings and surprise about being attacked for somethng that I did not say, resulted in my reactive response. That action was wrong, and I should not have done it. I let my emotions get the best of my good judgment and common sense. And, I regret having done it, and I apologize to everyone who has read my above post in response to ichogger and GOLDEN ARM.

Even though I have tried to clarify the meaning and intent of my initial statement in several subsequent posts, my explanations appeared to have fallen on "deaf ears". On this particular issue, I will admit to being totally clueless!

And, since GOLDEN ARM felt beholden to quote some Biblical scripture (Matthew 7:5) to me, let me respond by saying: "You are correct. I was guilty of violating that Biblical commandment, and I apologize, and ask forgiveness."

And, while on the topic of Biblical scripture, as introduced by the Moderator, let me suggest that another Bible verse, a very short distance away from the Bible verse offered by GOLDEN ARM, is found in Matthew 7:12, which is, in everyday English: "Treat others the way you want to be treated."
Again, I was also in violation of that Bible verse, and I humbly apologize and ask forgiveness. And, I daresay that GOLDEN ARM was also in violation of that verse by his baseless personal name-calling, such as "foamer" and "clueless". The use of those "names" has no better value than to be hurtfull and mean-spirited. And, I really doubt that he wants to be treated that way.

Another thing that I don't like to admit, but for some reason feel that I should say, is that I can definitely sympathize about the loss of jobs, as I was laid off of my job about 4 months ago (laid off due to a company "reorientation"). I am still searching for employment. So, I know, up close and personal, what it is like to lose a job because of a "new thing"!
I have been around for quite a few years, so finding a job is not so easy as it waw when I was much younger. And, I hope that you will pray for me to find a replacement job soon, and very soon.

So, there it is. This whole series of postings have been a very depressing and regrettable experience for me.

I nver intended to speak agianst the best interests of railroad employees (present and former), but my comments were definitely taken totally out of context, in a very bitter and hurtful way.

Again, my sincere and heartfelt apologies to all.

ACLfan2

#286715  by Scotty Burkhardt

Lets not turn this into the Amtrak forum where everything needlessly gets locked. We're all adults here, lets act like it.

Aside from that, are there any pictures of this thing on the net? I'd love to see what this mess is all about?
 #286919  by crazy_nip

ichogger wrote:You wouldn't think there very cool if those dangerous job stealing pieces of junk were on your railroad!!!!!
spoken like a true luddite

#286921  by crazy_nip

ACLfan2 wrote:And, Mr. Golden Arm. You call yourself a moderator? Learn about the responsiblities of promoting the sharing of opinions, even though you may not personally ageee with them! Until you can master that simple responsibility, you should not even dream of being a moderator!
may I invite you to this link http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28038 to let your true feelings be known in regards to this issue

#287177  by GOLDEN-ARM

Judge not, lest Ye be Judged..............
I coulda locked this, but again, as a moderator, I am all for free speech. Not really off topic, no profanity, or personal flames, so WTF? Again, you are looking at me through the eyes of a "self appointed" saint, and are judging my words. Wonder what you do for a living? I hope no machine is ever created to replace you, at your job. I wouldn't wish that little bit of experience, on anyone. You are entitled to your opinions, no matter how wrong, they might be.................. :P

I don't believe I copied any "scripture" in my post. If I did, it's a complete, and total coincidence, coming from a heathen, like myself....... :P

Nothing wrong with being a "foamer", as I get a little frothy, in the corners of my own mouth, at Alco time........

"And, I am sorry for that, because I honestly thought that you were a really good guy! Oh well."

As far as "clueless", YOU BETCHA!!!!!!!!